9/15/2007

My great uncle died yesterday afternoon. He had been in a nursing home for a few months after having a stroke last winter. Recently he was hospitalized with aspiration pneumonia, had a PEG tube put in, and started really going downhill. I was able to visit him in the nursing home a month ago and missed another chance the first weekend of this month when I was home, which I knew I would regret and I do. I know a lot of people aren't really attached to great aunts or uncles, but my uncle Dick was one of a kind. He and his brother, my uncle Dorn, were a pair. They lived together and went everywhere together. They were so cute and always so much fun to be around. Uncle Dorn took care of Uncle Dicky since he started getting sick in the past couple years. He took care of Uncle Dicky as much as he could in their small apartment but when he had to be moved to a nursing home, Uncle Dorn came at least 3 times daily and fed Uncle Dicky and was so good with him. It's so sad now to think that my uncle Dorn is without his other half, pretty much.

Rest in peace, old timer.