Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

inner biases you hope don't rub off on your kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *Lily*
    *butts in*

I said....

BRRRR!!! It's cold in here!
    There must be some Toros in the Atmosphere!!!!

*does herkie, throws arms in air to do spirit fingers at the board, turns on her heel and flips the back of her skirt on her way out*

A fabulous piece of cinematic material.

Comment

bring it! *spirit fingers*

i loved that movie. does that make me pathetic?

and heidi, i really meant no offense. im sorry if thinking your redneck/bringham young thing was funny.
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
        I would have a heart attack if they started to like hunting, fishing, or other redneck activities that made them in anyway more like my IL's.
        [quote:a4c79]I would be horrified if either of them became religious, decided to go to BYU,
        i know you probably dont mean for these to be funny, but they are to me.(but in a good way)

am i gonna wish my foot was planted in my mouth for this one?
        [/quote:a4c79]

You're fine!
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by poky
          Originally posted by Vanquisher
          I would hate it if they were vegeterians
          I'm curious about this one...would you mind explaining why?
          Because I love, love, love to cook for my family. It is one of my passions, and it would feel like a slight against me - very personal. Not that the only things I cook are meat -they're not. I also am a firm believer that humans are meant to eat meat, and I think it is healthy. I just don't want to have to dance around my children at holiday functions and things because they won't eat turkey or ham or prime rib.

Comment

Oh, and I just have to add to my list.... I would hate it if they had any pets - ESPECIALLY DOGS! And, I am more than totally serious about that. So, they should definitely not grow up to be vets either.

My true colors shining through....

Comment

Oh, and I just have to add to my list.... I would hate it if they had any pets - ESPECIALLY DOGS! And, I am more than totally serious about that. So, they should definitely not grow up to be vets either.

Huh. You keep intriguing me. Do you mind explaining why on this one, too?
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Huh. You keep intriguing me. Do you mind explaining why on this one, too?
                Oh, I think I'll let someone else explain this for me. Dogs - not a fan.

Comment

Let us just say that Heidi does not like dogs!!!!!!! We still love her!
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Because I love, love, love to cook for my family. It is one of my passions, and it would feel like a slight against me - very personal. Not that the only things I cook are meat -they're not. I also am a firm believer that humans are meant to eat meat, and I think it is healthy. I just don't want to have to dance around my children at holiday functions and things because they won't eat turkey or ham or prime rib.
                    OK, I can understand that...if you don't mind me asking, how about just pickiness, then?

I'm just curious because as a relatively picky eater, I'm fascinated by how personally people take what other people eat, sometimes. Thankfully, my mom didn't invest a lot of herself in what she cooked for us, and got used to me not necessarily liking what was put in front of me pretty early on, but this was a sticking point with my MIL for a while.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

OK, I can understand that...if you don't mind me asking, how about just pickiness, then?

I'm just curious because as a relatively picky eater, I'm fascinated by how personally people take what other people eat, sometimes. Thankfully, my mom didn't invest a lot of herself in what she cooked for us, and got used to me not necessarily liking what was put in front of me pretty early on, but this was a sticking point with my MIL for a while.
                      Yes, that would really bother me too. My kids need to eat what I serve them. Period. I am a good cook, and I think food is one of the best things in life, so I would take it very personally. My kids need to try everything. Everything. They both enjoy calamari, sushi, mexican fare, and a lot of other things that a lot of kids wouldn't touch. I like that. I think it shows a willingness to enjoy life and people. Food is a way we can really connect with other people, and it is a way that I show my love and affection for people.

In fact, I have had orthodox Jewish people over to my house who would not eat the food I served, on my plates, etc., and that really bothered me, and it was offensive. At a certain point, I think, the religious observance takes over the fact that you are hurting people.

So, yes, pickiness would bother me just as much. I didn't think of it in that way, I suppose, because neither of them is picky now, and so I don't expect them to turn out that way, but I suppose it is possible. Better not.

Comment

So, yes, pickiness would bother me just as much. I didn't think of it in that way, I suppose, because neither of them is picky now, and so I don't expect them to turn out that way, but I suppose it is possible. Better not.
                        Guess I'll be careful to only eat with you at restaurants, then.

I really hate to give offense, but there are a lot of foods I just plain can't *stand*, and yes, I have at least tried most of them. I really really do make an effort to not make faces or make any comments and just politely say no thank you.

Be prepared for their bf/gf/spouses to be pickier than you like (at this point, that's more likely than they themselves suddenly becoming picky). I hope for their sakes you won't hate them for it if they are, and that you can come to some kind of compromise.
                        Sandy

Comment

Guess I'll be careful to only eat with you at restaurants, then.

I really hate to give offense, but there are a lot of foods I just plain can't *stand*, and yes, I have at least tried most of them. I really really do make an effort to not make faces or make any comments and just politely say no thank you.

Be prepared for their bf/gf/spouses to be pickier than you like (at this point, that's more likely than they themselves suddenly becoming picky). I hope for their sakes you won't hate them for it if they are, and that you can come to some kind of compromise.
                          I, of course, would not hate a bf/gf/spouse because they are pickier than I would like. I think that would be pretty petty of me. It doesn't mean that it wouldn't hurt my feelings though. My MIL hates me for many petty reasons, and I sure as hell don't want to do that to any future members of my family. If my son or daughter loves someone, then that's reason enough for me to love them too. At least we have that in common at the outset.

Oh, and I never let on that my feelings are hurt when someone doesn't eat something I prepare, and I try to ask about things that people will/won't eat before they are a guest in my home. I have a big enough repertoire to please just about anyone.

Comment

Oh, and I never let on that my feelings are hurt when someone doesn't eat something I prepare, and I try to ask about things that people will/won't eat before they are a guest in my home. I have a big enough repertoire to please just about anyone.
                            On behalf of picky eaters everywhere, bless you for that, and sincere apologies for any unintentioned hurt feelings (unless they cop an attitude; I don't speak for rude picky eaters).
                            Sandy

Comment

I have no biases or bad characteristics that my children could *possibly* pick up from me.

Whatever are you talking about?

Kelly

ETA: This sarcasm is one of parenting's greatest irony. If you want to deal with your own inner dark side, become a parent. It will stare you down in the face.
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I have decided this thread is boring!

What about biases you want to rub off...

For me I hope he hates baseball, only wants to watch football, never wants to join the military, and likes women, like my wife, who are so beautiful they don't need makeup.

Comment

Working...
                                X