Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allowance

Do you give allowance to your kids? If so, how much? How old are your kids?

We need to start this with dd1 but I'm not sure of how much to give per week. She just turned 5 and we think she is old enough to start "saving" some of her money for things like Sparkle World magazine. My mom said to give her a quarter each week. I don't think she has taken inflation into account, however. It will take the poor girl 4 months to get a magazine.

We also need to start giving her specific chores. What do your kids do around the house? I liked an idea that suggested to give some chores that you just have to do because you are a part of the family and some "extra" chores that could earn you a little extra.

Thanks for any ideas!

Re: allowance

I don't feel like an expert on this topic, but here goes.... (ETA that my kids are 13, 10, and 6)

For allowance, we give the kids the dollar amt. equal to their age once a month. It is not tied to any chore in particular, but they use it for stuff we don't think they *need* but we don't mind that they have (like the magazine you mentioned). Chores my kids do: load/empty the dishwasher, make sandwiches for lunch, set the table, pour milk, weed the flowerbeds, water the flowerbeds, sort dirty laundry, sort clean folded laundry and put it away, fold whites, strip/make their beds, keep their rooms clean, take the dog out, take out the trash, bring up the empty cans, scoop the cat box. Those are fairly regular ones, but occasionally they also dust, sweep, vacuum, and the oldest can clean a bathroom. But since we have gotten a cleaning lady, they get less practice with those things. If DH and I go out in the evenings, I sometimes pay my oldest to watch his brothers, especially if he does a nice job (and if I have any cash!) but not often enough that he expects it.....I definitely don't feel like I owe him.

I know your kids are younger.....we started with emptying the dishwasher, (silverware and plastic cups first) clearing the table, dusting what they could reach with Swiffers, keeping toys picked up, making the bed, and helping to sort dirty laundry (they would put the white stuff in a pile and I would get the rest). It is more about them learning that it takes work to make the house run when they are little than it is about them actually being any real help.....but if you stick with it, they do turn into pretty good help! This summer has definitely been a turning point at our house in that regard.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
    X