Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Me, too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me, too!

I am 14 weeks pregnant and due Feb 7, 2004! This will be the first grandchild on either side, and we are really excited!

I was looking for some opinions/ answers-

Did anyone do natural childbirth? Any suggestions for classes?

I am not showing at all, and just wondering when I will be. ( I already went to maternity gap for their $9.99 sale and got some stuff that i cant believe i will ever fit into). Just as a comparision, I am about 2-3 weeks behind the actress, Kate Hudson, who has been showing/wearing maternity clothes for weeks now. When does it usually become obvious?
    Mom to three wild women.

I am at 16 weeks and starting to show (but it is the second pregnancy). During my first pregnancy, I thought I was getting downright huge around 4 months....little did I know! re: Kate Hudson, I think it depends on how fitted the clothing is that you are wearing. I also think the idea of maternity clothes is a little bit misleading -- I think there are really three stages of clothing:
    1. transition (waistband on regular clothes too tight but not ready for true maternity wear, also useful post-partum),
    2. regular maternity when you are really showing and need the belly panel,
    3. HUGE and most of your regular maternity stuff doesn't fit.

The transition phase was a few months for me (maybe 10-18 weeks), the regular maternity was most of the pregnancy, and the huge stage was the last few weeks. For the last few weeks, I had a rather limited selection because I wasn't about to spend much $$ on clothes I would wear for 2 or 3 weeks. I think that everyone I was working with got really tired of seeing the same few dresses I wore! Sooner or later, you will need the gap stuff you bought.

re: natural childbirth -- I didn't do this but found the book "Birthing from Within" to be very useful. (Tried, had morphine and epidural for various and lengthy reasons). I thought the breathing exercises were way better than the lamaze ones. The class through the hospital was useful, but I got more out of the book. Several women I know who did deliver w/o pain medication used this book. If you are interested, it would be great if you could find a doula or midwife trained in or at least familiar with this method.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Nellie said (except for the book - I've never read it but maybe I should!). I think she is spot-on with the maternity clothes. And, I must admit that I have always loved and appreciated my epidurals. :P So, I have to agree with her on that as well. I wish you luck in your decisions! And congratulations!

Jennifer
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I didn't start officially showing with my first until I was 7 months pregnant. I longed to have that cute pregnant belly so that people would know I was actually pregnant and not just getting a little chubby! In the meantime, I bought several pairs of knit pants at JC Penney's in a larger size than I normally wear and wore those.
        I know nothing about natural childbirth! Actually, I know a little because I was dilated to 10 and ready to push but was afraid to without the epidural so I breathed through the contractions until the anesthesiologist could get an epidural in me (I had a 2 hour labor so things moved way too fast!). I can tell you I didn't enjoy those contractions and made sure to get my epidural much sooner with my second so I wouldn't have to experience them again! I know several women who did it though, and I applaud them! In retrospect, I think I could have just pushed her out without the epidural. I hope I didn't sound too negative about natural childbirth--I wasn't prepared for it but I think if you prepare yourself in advance and had the right support then go for it!
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
        X