Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Getting a PT evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a PT evaluation

Zoe has issues with balance and coordination. She runs in a really awkward and weird way, with her whole torso leaning forward. I showed a video to her pediatrician but he refuses a physical therapy consult. What can I do? I think she needs PT and insurance insists on referral.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Why would he refuse a PT consult? Why wouldn’t he let them decide if they can help?

I’d push harder on the Pediatrician. Is there some harm that can come from an eval?

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I don’t know. I really pushed it. He said she seemed fine based on an exam where he had her stand on one foot (she fell over) and walk for him. He ignored the video. I’m not really sure how to push it farther.

Comment

I’d just say straight out:

“I am concerned about her coordination and balance. I understand your initial perspective was that PT is not required, however, I’m still concerned based on my observations. Can you help me understand what the downsides might be to having her evaluated if only for my peace of mind?”

And then if there aren’t any: “OK, I’d like to have her evaluated since we’ve identified very few downsides/I’m comfortable with those downsides. Can you please provide me with a referral?”

But I have no problem with being a little pushy. It’s not like you’re suggesting a medication with a downside! The worst that can happen is you pay a PT copay and the therapist says she’s fine.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion!

Kris

Comment

I agree with Tulips. We had to push for K1 to have a PT consult when he was an infant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Yep, don’t take “no” for an answer. I’ve had to push for every evaluation outside of basic OT. I typically just leave the office, call dh and tell him to get the appointment and I’ll get the referral. Once I have a date I call the nurse line and tell them I have an appointment and need a referral. Sometimes going through the back door is much easier. Finally we just found a pediatrician that was able to think outside the box and was willing to have a discussion outside the standard appointment. Good luck mama!!
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

"Alright, can you document your refusal for an OT consultation in her chart?"

Interesting how this changes things...
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                  "Alright, can you document your refusal for an OT consultation in her chart?"

Interesting how this changes things...
                  I’ve also found that having the dawkter spouse call changes things too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Do you need a referral for a sports medicine doctor? They always happily recommend PT

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    Grace

Comment

Originally posted by gcuthbe1 View Post
                      Do you need a referral for a sports medicine doctor? They always happily recommend PT

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      Actually, sports medicine may be an option. I hate being pushy or playing the doctor card. We’ve been turned down by the doc and NP. I remember when Zoe was little, I noticed behaviors and the pedi said she was just fine. We went to the NICU follow up clinic and they were concerned. She needed at least 6 months of OT and said we were lucky we caught it. I need to pursue this more.

Comment

Okay, I read reviews on our doctor and I’m not the only one unhappy with similar issues. I called and switched doctors and specifically told the nurse the problem. She said the new ped would happily refer for that (according to her). Problem? Appointment October 22nd. We had to wait for a new patient opening. At least there’s hope.

Kris

Comment

Getting a PT evaluation

Called back. Expressed concern. Got a July 5 appointment. Go me!

Comment

Can you believe I completely spaced the July 5 appointment and have to wait until August? I’m so embarrassed.

Comment

Working...
                            X