Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cooking Oil, Rice and Flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Oil, Rice and Flour

So much to my dismay, Emma can open any Tupperware or Rubbermaid container....amongst other stuff.

COOKING OIL-
    A couple of weeks ago, we had planned on our menu calendar to do a what we call a "fun" meal. We did homemade french fries and hamburgers. We have a deep fryer that has a fancy drain for draining the oil out of it, well... I had pushed it to the back of the counter, but forgot to put lock the basket handle back into position. If it's locked then curious tykes can't open the drainage tube which sits behind the handle when it's down, if the handle is up, then the tube can come out and it's very easy to take the cap off. Anyway, I was sitting on the couch, and Emma comes running in and says really fast "Mommy I am thirsty." It took a minute for that to register. I thought well, she will be back any minute with her cup, and will say "May I have water please?" A minute goes by- no Emma. I then hear "SPLASH, drip, drip." I thought "Oh how cute, Emma pulled her chair to the counter and tried to get a drink for herself." I walk into the kitchen to see her swimming in the cooking oil!!!! 8O Thankfully, there had been about 3-4 hours between the time we used the fryer and when she poured it out all over the kitchen floor. I about flipped when I saw her- I kept telling her to stay in one spot, and Emma kept trying to stand up, of course falling right down because of the slippery nature of the oil and linoleum floor. (Am I horrible for laughing at my own kid?) So she sat, and began wiping oil on herself and saying "Mommy I put on lotion!" 8O I said "Just stop please." and she stopped but then proceeded to wipe her hands all through her hair. Thankfully Brigham was in bed already. I got Emma bathed and put to bed. All she said throughout her bath was "I'm sorry mommy, no swimming in oil." (I had told her that we don't play with oil) .

It took 2 rolls of paper towels to clean up the mess, plus getting on my hands and knees with Windex and a toothbrush (couldn't find the scrub brush) to remove all the grease. 8O Luckily Matt got home in time to help me out.

FLOUR-
    We have a huge Rubbermaid container (I think it's about 5 gallons) that we store our all-purpose flour in. Well, Matt was studying in the family room, where I thought the children were. I was in our bedroom paying bills. I finished, and thought, ok time to start getting the kids to bed. Brigham and Emma had already been bathed. I walk out into the hallway, and saw flour EVERYWHERE. 8O Peeking out of this cloud of white were 2 sets of eyes- Emma and Brigham. Emma smiles really big and says "Mommy I am building a snowman, SEE??!! and Gribin helps!" 8O It was so darn cute that all I could do was laugh, and join in. Matt came over to see what the comotion was about, and just shook his head.

RICE-
    Same thing- our rice is stored in a Rubbermaid container. Emma opened it and dumped the ENTIRE thing on the floor. When Emma saw she had been caught, she ran over, hugged my legs and said "I'm sorry Mommy." I told her she needed to help pick it up, she began to pick up handfuls of rice, and even requested her play broom and dust pan.

CLIMBING-
    Brigham was climbing and Emma will tell him- "Gribin, you get down now. Oh no, no! Oh please be careful! Don't hurt yourself." Such a motherly child.

Crystal
    Gas, and 4 kids

Awwww what cute stories! Although, cleaning up cooking oil and flour do not sound like fun. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

That's cute. There are such different perspectives -- we see a huge mess to clean up and they see the makings of a snowman! Good for you to see the humorous side of this at the end of the day.

Comment

OMG, crystal....I don't know whether to laugh with you or cringe at the mere visualization of what the clean-ups must have been like 8O I hope you took pictures!!!!

Your kids sound adorable.

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Yeah, about pictures- I keep forgetting to forever memorialize these incidents. I figure there will be more. At least I am writing them down.

I have to laugh at them or I will go crazy. The only incident that about drove me nuts was the oil mess. Everything else can be vacuumed up, thank goodness! Man, I don't know what I would have done pre-vacuum era (ie- broom and dustpan) especially on carpet.

We always say that if God hadn't made them so darn cute we would have sent them back.

Crystal
          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
          X