Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

babysitters and food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• babysitters and food

Am I supposed to feed them? If so what? I really dont want to have to pay them a bunch of $ plus a dinner like pizza or something. I asked the one I use alot if she expects dinner, and she said, some people have dinner for me, some dont, it doesnt matter. She is coming again tomorrow, and I am starting to feel guilty that I dont have dinner for her.
    Mom to three wild women.

I try to point out things they can make themselves -- if there are any frozen meals, where bread or tortillas and peanut butter and heese are kept, etc. If I get pizza for the kids, I get an extra slice for the sitter (from a by the slice place). I mostly say help yourself to anything and point out anything off limits that I am saving for recipe. I don't think they look forward to eating at our house but they don't starve either.

A few months ago we got: Are you guys, like, vegetarian or something? No....just not much meat around. Turns out she is a die-hard red meat eater. She comes back, though.

Comment

I stock up on junk food.

Comment

We order pizza and a salad from a local place. Partly it serves as a bribe to the kids who are still iffy about us having an adult social life; partly it makes me feel better about hiring a sitter from 6 -11 pm and not feeding her. I must note that the sitter rarely eats anything noticable. We were much closer to our sitter in Boston. She never ate anything no matter how much or what we offered. I think it was a teen dieting thing.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

If they were there and had to feed the kids I always had enough for them.
          I also used to get alot of junk to make me feel better about leaving them with a sitter. Sooooo long ago.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

When I used to babysit, I RARELY ate at the people's houses. It was a personal thing, because I had one mom who felt so bad that I didn't eat at her house, she used to stop at Mc D's on the way brigning me home. She must've counted the chips or cookies or something to know I wasn't eating. It wasn't that I didn't like their food or anything, I think I just felt bad going through the cubboards for something for me. Sometimes, the parents would leave me money to order pizza with and then I'd eat some, or if I cooked for the children, I'd eat. I just always felt really bad about eating someone else's food. Though I *loved* it when there was soda in the house since my own mom wouldn't let us drink it in the house. If I was sititng from 6-11 I would just eat before I went/was picked up....but that may just be me.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

If its over a mealtime I fully expect to feed them. I sometimes order pizza or pick up McDonald's or at least make sure I have sandwich stuff in the house. I also try to figure out what kind of soda they like and have it on hand (if they aren't too shy to tell me).
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
              X