Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

popular names for children in your geographic area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popular names for children in your geographic area

We did lots of searches on the social security website to find out the "trends" and more common names before we named our children.

What are the popular names in your area??? I have a feeling there are geographic "favorites" depending on where you live?

GIRLS:

All of the E names: Emma, Emily, Ella, Elle, etc. (I think I know at least 4 of each)
    Grace
    Sydney
    Olivia
    Isabelle or Isabella
    Katherine or Catherine

BOYS:

Aidan
    Jack
    Nathan
    Nicholas
    Ryan

I think boys are harder to name than girls...what do you think?
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

The Name Voyager is based on the same data as the SSA lists but is even more extensive (and an even easier way to waste a lot of time on the internet )

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

New Yorkers are big on the "little old man/little old lady" trend. i.e., names that were very popular at the turn of the 20th century.

I do agree that boys names are harder to think of than girls names. I think it's because you get more leeway with girls names.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

OK, Julie. That just wasted 10 minutes of my time. Seems I have one of those names that peaked right after I was born and then disappeared. I also named my own kids au courant. (Zach - mid 90's and Annie - 2000) At least Annie last peaked at the turn of the century.

Names here that seem popular in my kids age brackets:

5 year olds: Daniel, Anna, Caroline

8 year olds: Ian (shocking number of those), Jessica, Kristen/Kiersten (3 in my son's class)

I think boys are harder to name because girls keep taking over boys names. Once a boy's name has gone feminine, it is hard to get it back. Also, my husband was a lot more fussy about our son's name. Definitely didn't want anything wierd for his son. He was more flexible in our daughter negotiations. His reserve was probably a good thing as I am one of those people that might end up with a "Festus Moonbeam" if not controlled.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

That link is a little depressing....there we thought we were being somewhat unique....turns out everyone had our idea.
        Drew-2000
        Colton-2004

...at least they didn't end up Meshack and Cletus.

Comment

Originally posted by gmdcblack
          That link is a little depressing....there we thought we were being somewhat unique....turns out everyone had our idea.
          Drew-2000
          Cotlon-2004

...at least they didn't end up Meshack and Cletus.
          They're still pretty unusual. Even though it's higher on the list than you might have thought, still only 0.1401% of boys that year were named Colton, for example. He's going to have to meet 700 boys his age before he runs into another Colton.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

The Edwardian names are popular here too...

I have a Henry, but he is named after my grandpa who WAS born at the turn of the last century.

If we had a girl her name would have been Charlotte, my grandmother's name.

A neice was considering Addison for a girl. There are SEVEN generations of men with that middle name in our family.

Comment

I don't know if it's a regional thing or what but all of my cousins kids go by their middle names, especially the girls.

My nephew is a "fourth" which was a total no brainer. We liked Nikolai so decided to stick with it- and we changed his middle name to Daniel, which was my grandfather's name.

Jenn

Comment

Old school boy names are pretty popular in the South.....Joseph, Thomas, William. For girls....Emma, Hannah, Abbey seem to be the most popular. I have also heard some off-the-wall names, though...one of DH's pregnant patients said she was going to name her child Truck if it was a boy and Sparkles if it was a girl... And when I worked at a preschool we had a little boy named LeStat (after the character in Interview with a Vampire). :!

I agree with Angie about boys being harder to name than girls. I had read that, too, about boys names that have gone feminine...that they rarely turn back (Kelly, Ashley, Leslie). I have a (male) friend named Morgan who started going by his middle name because there was a girl in his class also named Morgan.

I think we have decided on Andrew Edward (Edward is a family name) for our son and we might end up calling him Drew for a nickname. One important factor for me in picking a name was that I wanted one that other people could spell without having to ask, "How do you spell that???" For some reason that always annoys me.

Comment

A friend named her horse Truck! Never thought of it for a human child, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug
                    Sigh, I just couldn't punish my kids with our family names though-Wilma, Barbara, Louise, June, Muriel, Edwin, Gerard, and the list goes on. Ugh!!
                    Both of my grandmothers and one of DH's are named Muriel. Somehow , despite haveing three great-grandma Muriels, we named our daughter Claire.

Comment

Great-grandmother: Anathia (pronounced Anna-thigh-a)

Grandmother: Ruthadell (pronounced Ruth Adelle)

Aunt: Anthia (Pronounced Anne-thee-a)

Father: Sperling

Son: Nikolai

Jenn

PS- My grandmother only answers to Ruth or Ruthie because she hates her name so much!

Comment

He's going to have to meet 700 boys his age before he runs into another Colton.
                        ...or we could go to the circus and park next to a family whose son is named Colton!! So, I guess he beat those odds!....now if I could just get him to play the lottery....

Comment

True names that we have come across with some frequency up here in the hinter land (don't even ask me how to spell these):

Tove
                          Sten
                          Hawken
                          Solvye
                          Eaken
                          Soryke
                          Rikka
                          Juegar

I know that we are back woods rednecks and all, but when we pause and ask for a re-pronounciation, people are like "Duh, it is Sorkye!"

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Sounds like the shelving aisle at IKEA.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                              Sounds like the shelving aisle at IKEA.
                              sure does!

Here (north east ohio) there are a TON of Kaitlyns (spelled all different ways) and Jacob (my oldest son is named Jacob, but he's named after my mom, whose maiden name was Jacobs).

DH's cousin who is 1/2 Indian (Asian) named his kid Tane Rajiv - clearly didn't avoid the Indian name for a first name to spare the kid teasing as we did.

My neighbor's kid when I live in Pasadena was named Seven.

Comment

Working...
                              X