Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ear Tubes....ARGHHH!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Tubes....ARGHHH!!!!

Some of you might remember that my daughter got ear tubes and an adenoidectomy this last May. Well, since then, she has had two ear infections (actually probably just one that never went away) in the right ear, that started this month. Yesterday she ran 104, and this AM she woke up with the same temp.

The ped said we need to take a trip to the ENT because the tube clearly isn't draining well/doing its job so this means a) irrigating and hoping it gets better or b) a new set of tubes (or maybe just one) I dread both scenarios, but I really want this fixed, too. Above all, this makes her miserable, not to mention that I'm losing my mind. It's also causing a lot of missed work....do you guys have any experience or know of anybody who has needed repeat tube placement? This is just very frustrating!!!! I want my baby to feel better

My son had tubes, and they worked great. In fact they worked so well, and stayed in so nicely, that we had to have them manually removed when he was 4. They were put in at 14 months.

My younger sister had to have three sets when she was little. I think she just outgrew the ones she had and had to get new ones because she was continuing to get infections.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you. Hopefully they can irrigate the tube in the office without too much trouble. If they do have to replace it, at least you know that it is a short procedure.

I'm sorry your dd is going through this, and you too!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Sorry, no experience with tubes, but I hope she's doing better soon. High fevers are so frightening.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Ugh, Marla. I know you were really looking forward to a healthy summer and no more ear infections. I hope they have a solution for you that is quick and easy -- for both of you!

Comment

Hi! Sorry for the late post. I am just now reading this. My DH is ENT and one of our kids has had 2 sets of tubes. DH is in Ecuador on a medical mission right now, but if you have specific questions I'll try to have them answered when he gets back (in another week). On our son's first set of tubes, one fell out within weeks and the other worked perfectly for about 6 months & then was stuck in massive amounts of wax for nearly a year. About 1 & 1/2 years later (& several ear infections later) he had another set put in along with his adenoids taken out. Have ENT look at the adenoids just in case, since it's been shown to reduce the chance of recurrent infections if you remove them. Speaking without my DH here, so that is coming from a 2 yr old memory...take it for what it's worth (not much). I don't recommend surgeries that aren't needed, of course, but his adenoids did turn out to be good sized. The same tube that fell out the first time fell out again with 3 weeks. But, he hasn't had an ear infection since (over a year). Don't know if this helps at all, but I hope it does.

Sara

Comment

Thanks for the replies! We went to the ENT to check tube patency, and they said they are open and clearing (probably because this is after 5+ days of antbx drops/oral meds).....Sara--my daughter did have her adenoids out at the same time...I guess the next step might be tonsils according to the ENT. We go back next month for another check. Thanks for your advice!!!

Comment

Working...
            X