Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Monster Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Madness

Aidan (2) is having trouble now falling asleep and staying asleep. He is convinced that every shadow and noise in his room in a monster. The irony is that he loves monsters and makes "roar" noises and plays monster all day...it's just not as fun for him at night.

In the meantime, I'm sleeping about 3 hours a night...

Any monster scaring suggestions? Currently, I'm bathing him every night, reading him a story, singing to him and then wrapping my arm around him until he falls asleep. This routine is taking up a HUGE chunk of the evening.

He ends up in our bed every night and last night he kept waking up screaming "NO MONSTER, NO MONSTER"

We haven't been watching anything with monsters in it...though he did have a dragon costume for halloween that he thought made him into a monster...but he loved running around "roar"ing in it.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Can he sleep with the lights on?
    Bryn slept with the lights on, and I mean ON like noonday sun in her room, for at least 3 or 4 months when she was 2ish. She wanted every nook and cranny of her room illuminated. I was sure she wouldn't sleep that way, but she did.

Poor little guy and poor you. Waking up like that sucks the life out of you during the day.

Comment

Isn't there some thing where you get them an atomizer of "anti-monster spray" and you make a ritual of spraying it across the doorway before bedtime and it forms a protective barrier that the monsters can't cross in the night? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I kind of remember Rosie O'Donnell talking about it, except I think it had something to do with monkeys in her house, and she had some kind of rhyme to go with it. "Go away monkey spray" or something?
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

No mosters allowed

My nearly 3 year old went through something similar, but his was focused on a triceratops. It actually worked to tell him that triceratops are NOT allowed in the house. I think the anti monster spray sounds great too. I treated it very seriously and explained that the dinosaurs have dirty feet and would knock things over in the house so they are absolutely forbidden from coming inside. I even had a friend confirm to him that they aren't allowed in. He's convinced now.

Comment

I completely forgot about this! We tried the "monster spray" and it worked well for a while. It bought us a few months, anyway. We used a plastic spray bottle (empty!!!) and had her spray around the room for monsters.

Comment

I've heard good things about the monster spray. I'm curious to hear how it plays out.

Nellie, idiot that I am, I would have given a spray bottle filled with water. The simplest things evade me...

Comment

Originally posted by Dagny
              Nellie, idiot that I am, I would have given a spray bottle filled with water. The simplest things evade me...
              I don't think I realized that until I was filling the bottle and thinking....this could get messy.

Comment

Working...
              X