Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

STTN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STTN

---OK, here's my situation. My Mommy has had me for months now. The first few months were great-- I cried, she picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then something happened. Over the last few weeks, she has been trying to STTN (sleep through the night). At first, I thought it was just a phase, but it is only getting worse. I've talked to other babies, and it seems like it's pretty common after Mommies have had us for a while.

Here's the thing…these Mommies don't really need to sleep. It's just a habit.. Many of them have had some 30 years to sleep - they just don't need it anymore. So I am implementing a plan. I call it the Crybaby Shuffle.

It goes like this:

Night 1: Cry every three hours until you get fed. I know, it's hard. It's hard to see your Mommy upset over your crying. Just keep reminding yourself, it's for her own good.

Night 2: Cry every two hours until you get fed.

Night 3: Every hour.

Most Mommies will start to respond more quickly after about three nights. Some Mommies are more alert, and may resist the change longer. These Mommies may stand in your doorway for hours, shhhing. Don't give in. I cannot stress this enough: CONSISTENCY IS KEY!! If you let her STTN (sleep through the night) just once, she will expect it every night. I KNOW IT'S HARD! But she really does not need the sleep, she is just resisting the change.

If you have an especially alert Mommy, you can stop crying for about 10 minutes, just long enough for her to go back to bed and start to fall asleep. Then cry again. It WILL eventually work. My Mommy once stayed awake for 10 hours straight, so I know she can do it.

Last night, I cried every hour. You just have to decide to stick to it and just go for it. BE CONSISTENT! I cried for any reason I could come up with. My sleep sack tickled my foot. I felt a wrinkle under the sheet. My mobile made a shadow on the wall. I burped, and it tasted like pears. I hadn't eaten pears since lunch, what's up with that? The cat said "meow" (I should know, my Mommy reminds me of this about 20 times a day). Once I cried just because I liked how it sounded when it echoed on the monitor in the other room. Too hot, too cold, just right - doesn’t' matter! Keep crying!!

It took awhile, but it worked. She fed me at 4am. Tomorrow night, my goal is 3:30am. You need to slowly shorten the interval between feedings in order to reset your Mommy's internal clocks.

P.S. Don't let those rubber things fool you, no matter how long you suck on them, no milk will come out. Trust me.
    -Ladybug

Re: STTN

Wait - have you been talking to Sophie? Is there some sort of baby list serve? Sophie is only happy if being held - preferably while nursing for the 8th time in 2 hours!

Is there a sleep smiley?
    Kris

Comment

At least you have your sense of humor intact.

This is great writing, you know!

Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

You need to save this for your daughters!!! It's great!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I just read this to DH and he thought it was pretty funny too! Thank you for the laugh I needed after a very long sleepless night.
          Kris

Comment

Just wait - this is next:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJqnitjq ... re=related

At least you still have your sense of humor (although sleep deprivation usually brings out my witty side!)
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

(growth spurt?)

Comment

Did you write that???

You could publish that. Too funny! check out the MOPS writing contest.
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

That is really funny, and so true

Comment

I could be wrong but I'm pretty positive I've ready that before. I don't think Annie wrote it but maybe she did and has posted it here previously.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

haha. I wish I had written it. It was an email that I read, appropriately, at 3 a.m. this morning while the baby was awake. The first post explained all this, but then I accidently erased it...tired mommy moment. The second post I just copied it with no preface. It was cracking me up just when I was feeling a wee bit bitter about being up...again. I've been up consistently between 2 and 3 am for weeks now. She usually doesn't go back to sleep until Lucy gets up for school. I'm so beat, but I can't let her CIO without waking up the entire house and making the other kid's lives (and mine) unbearable.
                      -Ladybug

Comment

Sending magic sleep vibes your way -- for both of you.

I look at your avatar though and can't imagine you as anything but full of dancing energy.

Comment

Oh man, I really feel for you. Was she previously a good sleeper? Or is this a new thing?

Originally posted by Ladybug
                          I'm so beat, but I can't let her CIO without waking up the entire house and making the other kid's lives (and mine) unbearable.
                          If you wanted to let her CIO, could you try some type of white noise machine in the other kids' rooms to drown out the crying? When we did CIO with DS#2, the white noise machine in DS#1's room was a huge help.

Good luck, I hope this is just a growth spurt or something and passes soon.
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Ooooh... I'm right there with you. We have some good nights, and some bad nights, but for various reasons I have stopped trying to CIO after about 3 nights where she cried for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours, and never really went to sleep... Just sort of wimpered for a long time after crying for a long time...

We do use the white noise machines and for what it's worth, the kids didn't hear her crying at all when she was crying it out... I thought for sure she'd wake them all up, but she didn't!
                            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

That entire original post had me

Funny stuff!
                              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                              With fingernails that shine like justice
                              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                              X