Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Adele's name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adele's name...

Has been picked by a celebrity, its probably just a matter of time before it becomes uber popular. I knew I'd run into another child with the name eventually since the singer Adele is popular but it seems when a celebrity chooses it they shoot up the lists - bummer!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Who picked it?

Comment

Molly Ringwald gave it to one of her twins, guess I should have posted that originally. My sister told me this morning.

Comment

OK- but Molly Ringwald lives in Paris so no biggie!

Jenn

Comment

Does she? Well then I'm not as surprised because its very popular in England and surrounding countries or at least more popular then here.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
            OK- but Molly Ringwald lives in Paris so no biggie!

Jenn
            And she's also not that much of a celebrity! hahahaha.

I know how you feel, a little. Jessica Alba named her daughter "Honor Marie." My daughter is named "Ava-Marie Eleanor." She goes by "Marie." I've had several people say, "Oh, just like Jesssica Alba's daughter."

Uh, no, you idiot. Just like my grandmother, her namesake, and in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I doubt I even knew that Jessica Alba used this VERY COMMON NAME as her kid's middle name.

Cheri: I wouldn't worry about it! Adele is a beautiful name and a fantastic choice, regardless of commonness or popularity. And, if you get wrongly accused of following a movie star, just tell them: "Yeah, we call her 'Apple' for short."

Comment

I didn't know Molly R. lives in Paris! Maybe it won't reach over into the US popularity as much. But I know what you mean... if my baby girl's name continues to go up in popularity I'm going to be bummed about it. I doubt that it will, but I'm guessing you thought the same thing when you picked A's name.
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I think it'll be okay. It is a name I've heard a bit more in the past few years, but in this case "a bit more" means a bit more than never. With it starting out not even in the top 1000, it would have a looong climb to take on that overused feel, and I don't think it's going to happen.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks guys - I knew it would become popular eventually, it just seems when a star picks it it happens faster. But maybe since she doesn't live here it won't be as bad.

I'm just being selfish and whiny today!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    Thanks guys - I knew it would become popular eventually, it just seems when a star picks it it happens faster. But maybe since she doesn't live here it won't be as bad.

I'm just being selfish and whiny today!
                    I love the name Adele. Molly Ringwald's kid? Come on! Your daughter is the real Adele.
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My friend's 8 year old is named Adele. She was named after a grandmother. That name must have been popular in that era...and as you mentioned, the grandmother was English.
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Adele is named after her great grandmother, as far as I know they are not english.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                          Adele is named after her great grandmother, as far as I know they are not english.
                          oops sorry, I thought you had mentioned that it was popular in England.
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Its one of those things you hear more once you use it. When looking for names for #2 we realized Adele is always in the top 200 in Europe but hasn't been in the top 1000 here since like 1918.

Comment

if Molly Ringwald had a baby in the late '80's and named it Adele, the name would have become popular. Molly Ringwald having a baby in 2009 is barely news, let alone trendsetting.

i think you're safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X