Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Weaning--have to use formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kinda cringe at some of these "guidelines." I feel they are a bit offensive to those who can't or don't want to breast feed. DD was 100% formula and she's a healthy and thriving 10.5 year old. *shrug* Not trying to turn this into a debate, I just think people should take the AAP recommendations with a grain of salt and not as The Final Word on raising children.

I say go with your gut and know that whatever you decide will be the best decision for your DD.
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Originally posted by weeniegeniewife View Post
      I kinda cringe at some of these "guidelines." I feel they are a bit offensive to those who can't or don't want to breast feed. DD was 100% formula and she's a healthy and thriving 10.5 year old. *shrug* Not trying to turn this into a debate, I just think people should take the AAP recommendations with a grain of salt and not as The Final Word on raising children.

I say go with your gut and know that whatever you decide will be the best decision for your DD.
      Amen! One of my friends starts all advice with "I only know what works in my house"

Choices and compromises, DH always says!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yes, yes - everyone to themselves! I read a post today on a blog I don't even follow but saw the dust up about - this woman had lined her carseat with glad press and seal because she was having issues with her child getting car sickness. You should have seen the FLAMING she was getting. Now I'm all for safety but this woman was just torn apart by people who read her "tip"

Do what is right for you and what your doc says is ok.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
          Yes, yes - everyone to themselves! I read a post today on a blog I don't even follow but saw the dust up about - this woman had lined her carseat with glad press and seal because she was having issues with her child getting car sickness. You should have seen the FLAMING she was getting. Now I'm all for safety but this woman was just torn apart by people who read her "tip"

Do what is right for you and what your doc says is ok.
          Uh...can you give me the summary of what's wrong with what she did? I don't get it.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

OMG that is brilliant!

Dd was mostly formula fed, and while she isn't the biggest kid in school, I'm pretty sure she's the smartest.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Well the theory is that ANYTHING between the child and the car seat is a safety/danger thing.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yes! That's exactly what I meant by I would go to formula. I can't stand pumping, and there's no way I'd have been able to do it as long as you have. You've done an amazing job, but formula is totally fine, too. Especially now at the end of her first year.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I had a little Eureka moment yesterday. Nursing has been hurting a lot lately which was part of my reason for wanting to know about weaning, though honestly I'm not quite ready to stop nursing. Stinker has a new tooth and suddenly nursing doesn't hurt anymore. Her latch really does change when she's teething. It was making me raw and that made pumping hurt. Yesterday and today has been much better. You'd think I would have learned by tooth #5
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

She got a new tooth? Aww! Baby girl is getting too big!
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

DD always goes through little biting spells when she's getting new teeth too. She has 6 now...

ST, how did our kids get this old???
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

My 8 mo old has no teeth!
                        Needs

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe View Post
                          My 8 mo old has no teeth!
                          But she has the cutest gummy grin!
                          Jen
                          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

We were shocked at DD's teeth - I got my teeth at 10 months and she'll only be 9 tomorrow.

Her bottom 2 are completely in and she's got 4 "erupted" as they say on the top though they're not completely in yet.
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

DD got her first tooth at 6 months, then got her next seven (!) teeth between 7 and 9 months. It was rough...
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                                DD got her first tooth at 6 months, then got her next seven (!) teeth between 7 and 9 months. It was rough...
                                Holy guacamole! DD is working on #5 right now. It's funny how different all the kids are!
                                Jen

Comment

Working...
                                X