Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nursery Decorating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nursery Decorating

Thanks guys. DH and I have been working on refinishing a dresser for about a month. It was my cousin's dresser, my dresser, etc. and has had paint on it for at LEAST 40 years ... probably longer. DH stripped it over the course of several very hot weekends, and I've stained / poly-d it this week. He needs to give it a light sanding, and then hopefully we can move it upstairs. The color came out slightly dark for a baby's room (I was trying to match the light cherry colored slats in the crib), but it's a gorgeous piece of furniture that has stood the test of time. We're both really proud with how it's come out. I'm kicking myself for not taking before pics - I don't think I have ANY.

We spent last night (while listening to Obama's speech) sorting / folding all of the baby clothes that my very, very generous friends have given me. I've been telling EVERYONE not to buy us any clothes, that I had been promised loads of hand-me-downs from friends. I know some people thought it was rude and figured I was just trying to get them to buy me a carseat or something -- but it's true. I literally have enough to clothe her until she's 2, and a good amout to get me started past that point. And that is after sifting through and pulling out stuff I didn't like / wrong season / had stains! She's got at least 10 pairs of shoes, and about 20 hats. It's just CRAZY! Good crazy, but CRAZY!

Comment

I was unclear - the volumes of clothes I'm talking about are the hand-me-downs. My friends have been (relatively) compliant, I've only gotten a handful of sleepers / outfits.

Comment

Okay - a few pics. I took some earlier today, and then tonight. The wall color is more true with daylight, but the fabric shows up better at night. The bassinet to the right of the window won't be in the baby room, of course - it's just staying there until she arrives. I'm hoping to get a little white bookcase for that spot. The glider needs to be recovered - I'll be using a combination of pink corriander and duck egg.

the dresser we refinished. it had 50 years worth of paint on it.

a dear iMSN friend made those hangers for me!

I have an Uppercase Living transfer that says "from small beginnings come great things" that I plan to put over the crib, and will probably put her name up in white letters above the dresser.

I added the band of duck egg fabric at the bottom of the curtians.

and a couple snaps of the clothes sorting project ...

It's all been tucked away to be 2 full drawers of 0-3 months, a tall blue bin of 3-6 month, 2 tall blue bins of 6-12 months, and 1 of the largest bins of 12 months on up! I have wonderful, generous friends!

Comment

I recognize some of those!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
            I recognize some of those!
            yes, don't worry - they're carefully folded now.

Comment

I can't wait until he gets to put tights on the baby. Don't forget the bum cover! :>

Comment

Ok, seriously tho... that is one beautiful dresser!!!! You are very lucky lady!
                Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I have seriously bought ONE onesie. That is IT.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight
                    Ok, seriously tho... that is one beautiful dresser!!!! You are very lucky lady!
                    Thank you. It was mine as a child, and was my cousin's before me (the oldest is 41). I'm not sure where it came from before then - but my guess is that it was either their dad's or our mom's (our moms were sisters) before that. It's had paint on it as long as I can remember - a hideous pea soup green when I was a kid. DH worked for several weekends to strip it, then I stained and poly'd it ... we're really pleased with the result. It's a bit darker than I wanted (I was trying to match the cherry slats in the crib), but overall I'm happy.

Comment

That all looks fabulous! WOW that is a A LOT of clothes! The iMSN ladies are always very generous.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

What a fantastic nursery, Jenn! I love everything in the room, but that dresser is gorgeous! I can't imagine having to scrape off all that paint. And those hangers are so cute!

Comment

Working...
                        X