Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is high-end paint (aka more expensive) worth the cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is high-end paint (aka more expensive) worth the cost?

Both are very good coverage - and I prefer SW to any of the Home Depot or Lowes brands. I've used both SW and BM in this house, both clean up nicely and haven't faded. I prefer BM -- especially if I'm doing the painting myself. It's just noticeably thicker, and the smell is less offensive.

Comment

Sherwin-Williams paint is nice (our house was originally painted using SW), but I prefer Benjamin Moore and Divine because they come in the washable matte finishes. SW's alkyd paint works great on furniture and trim.

I am intrigued by Mythic paint.....I wonder if it covers well.

Comment

Sorry Tara, your post must have gotten lost in the sea of BM reviews.

Comment

We have used Sherwin Williams. They do have a brand which is very washable and recommended for kid's rooms where you can supposedly wash crayons off walls. It has worked well for us, but I can't remember the name of it.
          Needs

Comment

As I have been painting walls and ceilings for the last three days (checking in from the gym at the moment) I have to say that the PRIMARY reason why I like the Benjamin Moore paint is the it's virtual splatter free. I just finished the ceiling and there was little to no splatter anywhere- walls or dropclothes.

Gotta love not having to clean more than the normal amount during painting!

J.

Comment

Okay . . . here are my before and after pics of the room I painted. I don't think it looks as good in the pictures as it does in the room. I guess that is why I haven't posted them yet.

It is hard to tell in the picture, but my dd's bedspread has green in it. So, it looks much better in person than in the photo.

ETA: I need to get draperies for dd's windows. I think it will blend the room better.
              Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I LOVE green walls! Especially a soft, feminine, minty-type green. It's also a very soothing color! I actually had my classroom painted that color (instead of hospital cream), and it made a HUGE difference in how I felt (my students said it was just the fume, but I disagreed!)

Anyway - It's beautiful! I think it looks much more "finished" than the old color! Not sure of the condition/sentimental value/etc of the bedroom set, but have you thought of adding some green accent to it if you feel it's not blended enough :huh:
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Good work Jane!! Looks great!

Comment

I love it! It looks great! I know what you mean about how the color looks in a room versus on a computer monitor. I ran upstairs to plug in the laptop for the brighter screen. After this success, what is next?

Comment

I'm catching this thread late... I love your new wall color!

Not sure of the condition/sentimental value/etc of the bedroom set, but have you thought of adding some green accent to it if you feel it's not blended enough
                      Is the middle dress in the pic green? What about drawing in more colors like that one? BTW, the paint color makes those pictures seem so pretty - and connects well with the bedspread.

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments.

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs
                        Not sure of the condition/sentimental value/etc of the bedroom set, but have you thought of adding some green accent to it if you feel it's not blended enough :huh:
                        The bed spread and the pictures on the wall have a similar color green in them. I chose the wall color based on the green in the bed spread. I don't know that I want anymore green in the room based on the wall color. My next step for dd's room will be window treatments. I'm not yet sure of exactly what I want. These things tend to take awhile for me to decide.

Originally posted by cupcake
                        After this success, what is next?
                        Next up on my painting agenda is our home office. I'm having trouble deciding what color I want there. I want the room to feel warm but not dark like a dungeon. The room is small with the dark cabinets (pictured in the home office improvement thread) and the windows face the north side of our home. So, based on that information, do you have any suggestions? :anyolne:

After our home office, I plan to do Dh's and my bedroom. I pretty much know what color I will be doing there. After those rooms, I will be taking a painting break until we get more furniture.

Comment

Warm like a warm gold? I'll have to go look but I think Devine Straw is a nice warm color. I don't think that would be dungeon-like but maybe you were thinking a darker color?

Comment

I like the idea of a gold/straw color. I wasn't necessarily thinking of anything darker. I'm just afraid that if I select the wrong color I would easily turn this room into a dungeon because the room is already dark. But, a gold/straw color would brighten it up and make it feel warm. I just don't want the color to be too yellow. I like a more neutral feel.

I have a color search tool from Benjamin Moore. It's overwhelming.

Comment

It is overwhelming and the colors aren't as true on a computer screen. Devine Straw is the color I was thinking of. A Benjamin Moore color that is nice is Chesterfield Buff (its a historical color and starts with HC-), or something close to that. Cork is a warm color and more to the brown than gold side. Camouflage or Olive Branch are new favorites of mine but not as warm. If you look at those, maybe you'll find a color before or after that you like.

Comment

Wow, thank you , Nellie! I will check those colors out. They sound like great suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                X