Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

WalMart: Evil Empire or Community Asset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah...I thought Bush's tax refund check was ridiculous, but I eagerly waited for my $800 and couldn't wait to spend it!
    I'm with Julie on the wealthy one...I hate them but I so want to be a member of the leisure class!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Kris- I follow your lead with Walmart. I shop there for low prices, but also because they are open late here. Target closes at 10pm and sometimes by the time I get there after the girls are in bed I don't have enough time to shop. Walmart isn't going to care if I am morally opposed to their philosophies as long as they get my money.

Nellie- I like Costco too. What is up with those half size diapers? I have a whole box left because they didn't fit Ella.
      Needs

Comment

Originally posted by jlynnb
        Nellie- I like Costco too. What is up with those half size diapers? I have a whole box left because they didn't fit Ella.
        I don't know but I think they are trying to pass of size 1 diapers as being able to fit 1 and 2. 15 pounds? They didn't fit Anna when she was 13 pounds. I ended up giving away a full box.

Comment

Ok, I'm a hypocrite too! We have a Wal-Mart down the street from us and although I hate Wal-Mart....I do shop there. I don't really shop there because they are cheaper than the mom & pop stores. I shop there for convenience. Our Wal-Mart is open 24 hours a day whereas most of the mom & pop stores in my town are only open from 10-5 pm and closed on Sundays (being in the South...just about everything is closed on Sundays!!). If I need cough syrup on a Sunday, I don't really have too many choices as to where I can get it from.

I really don't disagree with the wages that Wal-Mart pays it's employees. I think $8 an hour is a fair amount to pay considering that while I was in college, I was paid $4.25 an hour and received no benefits whatsoever (and that wasn't too many years ago!). That's what I was paid as a Teacher's Assistant...a job which had more requirements than being a checker at Wal-Mart. As far as Wal-Mart's other business practices...they definitely need to be changed in my opinion.

I do have to say, however, that I am thankful for places like Wal-Mart because they help my grandpa to afford to live. He does all of his shopping there. He depends on social security and doesn't have the luxury of shopping at the more expensive mom & pop stores. Wal-Mart also charges less for prescription medicine than most other pharmacies. For elderly people who are on several medications, like my grandpa, this truly is a lifesaver. My grandpa saves about $40 a month by getting his prescriptions filled at Wal-Mart....this $40 allows him to buy 2 more weeks of groceries. If not for Wal-Mart, I am sure my grandpa would not be able to support himself.

Comment

For those interested in the evils of Wal-Mart:

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/rele ... mart.shtml
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
            X