Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Outsourcing Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsourcing Medicine

How do you guys feel about the outsourcing of radiology and Medical Transcription jobs?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I think companies should be penalized greatly for outsourcing American jobs to other countries. With the outsourcing of jobs, not only are Americans losing their jobs, but our country is also losing the money those Americans would have contributed towards taxes & social security.

Comment

Do you mean outsourcing overseas, or just outsourcing in general? I'm not at all for outsourcing overseas, and don't see how it could possibly be HIPAA compliant.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I heard from DH that radiology is largely outsourced to American doctors who live overseas. I'm assuming they still pay US taxes. I could be wrong though.

Comment

I've heard that there's huge HIPAA problems with the overseas radiology business. I don't understand how it could be feasible to be compliant, unless they would assign codes to patient files. My wife isn't even allowed to log in to patient databases from home, and they're sending MRIs to India???
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

I'll need to check into it further, but I would think the American doctors who live abroad do not have to file US taxes since their physical address is not within the US. I'm pretty sure they at least do not pay Social Security, SDI, state taxes or FICA. If the employee doesn't have to pay taxes, then the employer has less taxes to pay as well which is why I think they are so eager to outsource jobs overseas.

Our economy is also suffering from outsourcing because overseas employees are not spending their money to buy groceries, clothing, etc. in America, but rather in India or wherever they reside.

Comment

From the House Radiologist:

A lot of the "outsourced" radiologists are foreign medical graduates trained and licensed in the US who have moved back to their native country. Some of the outsourced radiologists are American citizens trained and licensed in the US who move to other nations (an Australian company called "Nighthawk" does this). But, the major concern is the FMG's who do this. It's a particular issue with FMG's from India.

HIPAA is not an issue because the information can be kept private. The radiologists must be US licensed regardless of what nation they reside within.

The big concern is that the FMG's who have come to the US to train and become licensed and then proceed to move back to their country of origin are charging MUCH less to read films. The physicians in India who do this are the primary concern in this matter.

So, it's a matter of economics more than a matter of HIPAA compliance - and apparently there IS reason to be concerned if you are a radiologist....
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Interesting perspective, Jenn. I wonder if the lower prices that they charge will be a problem for radiologists here or if any quality control issues have already surfaced.

kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                X