Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Indecision.....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indecision.....again

As most of you know (from my whining), I have been teaching an afterschool science class at the elementary school for the last six weeks. It's gone well. It has been v. stressful, because I haven't taught this before and it is an established curriculum not well adapted to the afterschool setting. I'm also working with a partner that doesn't share my classroom philosophy. She's a fantastic organizer and great at classroom control; I'm usually the teacher kids love that blows up a volcano in the back of the room. I had hoped we would balance each other, but that balancing act has stressed me out more than any element. Whenever I'm less than pulled together, I feel judged. I've decided to limit teaching further classes with her for my own sanity. I've already put together a summer course in forensics that I'm teaching solo. It will be more work...but less stress, if that makes any sense. I have played around with the idea of offering 2 courses/session as an afterschool provider and seeing if I can grow this in to a little business of my own.

Today, I got a flyer from the Science Discovery center that is opening up in town. It is an after school/homeschool/camp enterprise. I was excited when they started construction because I thought working with them would be perfect. Then, I read a lot of the online information about the company -- and perused their offerings and lost the passion. It seemed to be one of these upscale, high-cost "babysitting" operations disguised as education. The one week camps were $700. The units were mostly tech based computer stuff. All and all....not what I had hoped. The flyer I got today was entirely different. The programs seemed reasonable and interesting. Now, I'm 1) pissed that I'll have competition if I try to make a go of a business 2) wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to apply for a job with them. The downside is it is a national chain - and the units come from them. I'm worried that they just spoon feed the info to "camp counselors" and it's still just after school care in a new package. I don't want to be a glorified camp counselor if I'm giving up my after school time.

*sigh*

It doesn't help that today's class went....poorly. The kids loved it, but it was disorderly. We didn't finish as much as necessary - but we will still finish on time. I always feel like a loser when things don't go as planned. I suppose as a teacher you need to overcome that. I'm trying to focus on the fact that the kids really enjoy themselves and learn -- and the school people like me. It's the hyper pulled together parents that make me feel nuts. (Just the one, actually!) I'm new at this.

Advice? I want to move forward in the next year, not spin my wheels. It's hard to know which road to take. It's not about the money. (Clearly!) It's more about doing something for science ed and kids because it's important to me and I'm usually good at it.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Wow. I'm still trying to get over $700 for a one week camp. I just came across an art camp for $275 and thought that was high. Wow.

I'll think about it some more and respond. My first reaction is that unless you are in a higher level position -- directing cirriculum or something of that nature -- you might get frustrated with the canned lessons.

You are new at the classes and need to give yourself some time to work out the kinks. I'm hesitant to say do your own thing because that often involves more footwork on your part but can also be more rewarding.

Comment

Is the $700 taxed? If not, take the money and purchase a massage every week to keep you relaxed?

I know that's not the enlightened answer for which you were hoping, but I'm stuck in my own career indecision hell right now. I hope that things work out no matter what.

Comment

Some of the high tech computer and robotics things get very expensive. There was an afterschool offering of that Lego engineering/robotics program -- and it was $475 for 8 weeks. More I spoke with the community education director at the beginning of the year and he was frank with me. He said people don't go for the high priced stuff. They've offered it, and they don't enroll kids. I figured I was positioning myself well with cookbook science classes for $50.00 a pop. I felt even better (smug actually ) when I read the Discovery center flyer because I was certain they'd go under soon. Now.... I think they've changed their game plan for the market. The new classes are $30.00 and more....cookbook science. and

I suppose I should have considered that the v. successful developers fronting the project - as well as the international company - might have more business savvy that little ole' me. I still think I might do OK against them, because community ed teaches in the school buildings with pickups from school at a later time. No need to transport the kids-- and I'm a local parent. I can dovetail my lessons to school curriculum or field trips. I'm "in".

Working for Children's Technology Workshop would be a "real" job. That could be great, too. Or awful. It might be less stress or more - depending on the company. That's pretending I could even get the job after being out of the workforce for 9 years. I suppose all these little science teaching gigs and volunteer work in classrooms would help - along with my original Ph.D. and science career from my younger days?

I should probably just send in a resume and go talk to them. I might find out more about the company and their plans that way. Guessing isn't the best research. :>
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

We made $800 for the class I just taught because the kids each paid $50 and I enrolled 16. I take my costs out of that -- and yes, it is taxed. The Children's Technology Workshop was advertised for $675 for the week PER CHILD....so if they enrolled 10-15 to keep the class size small, that's 6750-10000+ for the week.

I suppose they need to pay for all the computer systems and the instructors. All I have to do is pay me and buy wire and nails for my robots.

I do wonder what they pay. If they are hiring college kids (ie camp counselors) then they are cleaning up on summer camps I'm sure. Maybe the $30 classes are just to hook people in. They are advertised as "introductory mini-camps!" for one hour sessions. So....they are $30/hour/kid. That's still not cheap now that I think about it. Mine was a 6 week course for $50.
          Angie

Comment

Angie...I'm going to be a real downer for you and all I can say is ... please forgive me...

I am familiar with some of the chain operations that you are talking about...my experience (limited though, so I suppose you can check up on this particular one) is that it is more of a daycare like thing...though the families pay a certain amount per course that may seem outrageous, you'll get a salary...and you'll be standing there with your PhD in neuroscience teaching for pennies on the dollar with college kids.

slap me. slap me again.

You may be able to design your own course....I don't know...

I contemplated the idea of opening up exactly what you are talking about with science, Angie, but for German. (We have a lot of afterschool science extensions here, but no german). I decided at one point that my *career* was going to be to bring a german program to central mn similar to the one in the cities, but....better. I started looking at the cost to rent even a lousy space and :bummer: so I contemplated that I would also have to sell something to make more money to pay for the space...I considered selling german food products/books and then arranging classes, etc etc etc....I did cost calculations, spreadsheets and then...recognizing that it was an iffy proposition (here in central mn anyway) I turned to community ed. Their Spanish program is pretty hot...but...it's $25/kid for a 12 week class of twice a week afterschool. 25???? I figured that I could on my own perhaps handle a classroom of 12-15...but that would really be a little over $300 for 3 months of work.....and prepping for teaching is for me...a lot of work...

This is why I never got that off the ground....

I also tried contacting both of our local universities to see if they would like to sponsor a Saturday German program by offering space.....but they couldn't/wouldn't....

Honestly, Angie....If you want to teach science...I think....you should get your teaching certificate or look at the college listings to see if there are openings for part-time adjunct faculty.

I'm sorry to be debbie downer....I am throwing my experience out to you...I was where you are about 3 years ago.

Of course...you and I are different and we live in different places....if you decide to throw caution to the wind and go for it, I'd be the first person to scream "Go Angie" and....maybe I'd try and follow suit.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I don't really like teaching college kids. They are not that interested. Seriously. When I've taught them in the past, it wasn't fun. They just want the credit and they've already had the curiosity and imagination beaten out of them. Besides.....in my experience teaching adjunct is just as financially depressing. I got paid diddly to teach in Baltimore the one semester I did. My brother teaches adjunct at 4 universities to make ends meet. Maybe I've just had bad experiences with it.

I agree it's not a great money maker. Here, we have a few community ed providers for mostly sports related activities. How they seem to do it is they offer the same course at three or four different communities on different days (less prep?) and make money on the summer camp weeks in the same communities. I'm contemplating offering 6 courses next year in our own community and summer camp weeks through the rec center. That wouldn't bring in much, but it would activate my resume. I probably would get my teaching certification as well. (It's only two classes and then Praxis for me.) I've already gone through the KidSafe screening - I think that plus teacher certification would be good advertising.

If I rented space, I'd lose money at first. DH and I wonder if that would help with our taxes. That's the optomist in me. :> I suppose I could expand the offerings in the space and use high school and college kids as teachers after training. I'm more optomistic about the expansion because I have already looked at space that is well located (next to an active arts center and across from the school) and cheap. It's been on the market for two years now, because it's a retail location in a strange spot. There is an Ebay sports supply guy currently using it as storage space. The building is for sale and it has an apartment upstairs. DH and I have considered buying it as an investment and renting the top floor. So much to consider. My plan had been to build a following through community ed classes in this and neighboring communities and then move in to my own space. I figured it would take several years, and by then my kids would be old enough to help out in the "shop" or at least care for themselves for some work hours.

Basically....I've been thinking all this through for the last year or two, but was blown away when a potential competitor moved in to town. The nerve!!! I'm not sure my teetering plan can take on a competitor. It's a factor I hadn't considered.

I've decided to continue on my five year plan..... and increase my offerings through community ed next year. If I get a significant following over the coming years, I can consider the building. If I don't, I can go the teaching route-- because the experience, community exposure and teaching certification will help with that as well.

The sucky part of the plan for me had always been that DH may move to a new job in 10 years. Just when my little cottage industry is established. That would suck. I could always tell him no (and stay in Ohio forever) or go to teaching in a traditional school at that point. *sigh* The competitor business was something I'd never considered. That's why I have vaccilated between working with them - and taking them on.
              Angie

Comment

Something the competitor doesn't have -- consistent employees (just a guess). If they are employing high school or college kids, there will be turnover. With your business, parents will know that Mad Scientist Angie is always teaching or close at hand. As a parent, that would be a selling point for me. They know their kids will like it and they will get their money worth for the classes.

If you get it going and like, I say stay in Ohio. You might be ready to move on from it in 10 years too. (That is a nice way of saying that you might be burned out on teaching science to snot-nosed kids ).

My cousin's experience as adjunct faculty is quite similar. An upper level course was her saving grace.

Comment

I think too much for this. After all, I'm a mazimiser. :>

We have friends in Boston that run a NFP music center. The husband has been at it for twenty years. He told me that if he'd really thought about it he'd never have gotten in to it. He was young and stupid. He plunked down money on a building and.....there you go. Twenty years later, he's still at it. It's not a huge success, but it's a business. He does what he loves. I'm not sure I'm brave enough.

I just looked at the building specs again. It has two apartments upstairs. It's a cheap building. I'm nuts. :> I need to win the lottery so I don't care so much about losing a chunk of change if I fail.
                  Angie

Comment

Well, Angie...with the two apartments up top to rent out, you might end up really being *set* in regards to having the rent on your store paid out. The tax end of it is something I have considered too. I'm not sure how it is for you, but I was told I could only take a loss for 2 years ... I can't remember why now...it's been so long.

You do have the "Mad Scientist Angie" thing going for you....You might also be able to offer tutoring services and even build a little interactive science museum in there for kids that the schools could tour....can I come join in the fun?

You might as well go for it. Seriously..you've heard the pros/cons and you've weighed them yourself. Do you need a serious following yet through community ed to take the plunge? You could be offering summer science camps to kids in a matter of a couple of months if you just took the plunge now....and...you'd get in ahead of the competition.

kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                    X