Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fall wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall wedding

I love the dress that Flynn picked out for her event, but I'm short and stalky. Not as stalky as I was at the start of summer, but still... I wouldn't be able to pull of the cut of Flynn's dress.

I'm going to a wedding at the start of October and am looking for something dressy. I have the brown suit from my conferences earlier in the year, but of course, it's not dressy enough for a wedding. The groom is from a prominent Chicago family and I don't want to embarrass myself, because I'm good friends with the bride. 5:30pm start time for the wedding. Any ideas?!

Do I have to wear a dress?
    married to an anesthesia attending

I really think you should wear a dress. DO NOT WEAR THE BROWN SUIT!!!! I'm envisioning something with a v-neck and a well defined waist. Heels are always great to add height. Can I convince you into a wedge or a stacked heel or a platform?

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
      I really think you should wear a dress. DO NOT WEAR THE BROWN SUIT!!!! I'm envisioning something with a v-neck and a well defined waist. Heels are always great to add height. Can I convince you into a wedge or a stacked heel or a platform?
      Something with a well-defined waist, even though the waist in question (my waist ) is not well-defined by any stretch of the imagination?

Ok, OK! I won't wear the brown suit.

If I wear platforms, won't it look like I'm really trying to be taller? I'd rather do a stacked heel.

Comment

Is this dress silly?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2877346/0~2 ... 010064&P=4

Comment

NO SUIT! You HAVE to wear a dress. Because I said so.

A small platform doesn't make you look like you are trying too hard. Hooker heels platforms DO make you look like you are trying too hard.

Get a dress with a V Neck and a defined waist, preferable with a wide band around the middle (no skinny bands and nothing with too much contrast from the rest of the dress, like this:

Comment

Oh, those are all from Nordstrom by the way.

Re: the dress you chose, if you want to look taller, that probably isn't the best length for you.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks, Stella. I just wanted to hide my legs. But then I risk looking like Strawberry Shortcake in the one for which I posted a link.

So, to where should the dress fall, since I'm not a fan of my legs?

Comment

I love dress #3 (on the right)! Almost all of the Nordstrom grecian dresses are gorgeous too.

FWIW from a patagonia wearing granola grrl...I think this would be good, with substantial heels, on you. The best part is you don't have to suck in your tummy and can use a nice necklace/earrings to keep attention at your portrait view? :huh:
                http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2953689/0~2 ... 010498&P=5

I don't think it works for this model though. (and I'm retarded and can't cut and paste pics without reading the refresher course on it )

eta: nevermind...I posted before reading the legs comment. This is short.

Comment

What about something like this?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2913853?ref ... in=related

I like the dresses you all picked out, but I'm more of a brown/black/white gal. I would be uncomfortable in purple.

I'm not super comfortable with my body. The tummy's ok, and since I lost a good 15 pounds in Europe this summer, I'm ok on that front -- it's the m-fing legs.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                    Gotcha. Thanks, Stella. I just wanted to hide my legs. But then I risk looking like Strawberry Shortcake in the one for which I posted a link.

Alison, for length you have 2 options, either floor length BUT with high heels, this way the heels will be hidden and you'll just look miraculously taller. Or cocktail length which is just below the knee. Chances are you'll need to alter most dresses because they'll end up hitting the mid-calf (as you can tell I'm too familiar with this problem).

Stella illustrated my point perfectly. Do you see what we mean about well defined waist?

Comment

Originally posted by planet
                      I love dress #3 (on the right)! Almost all of the Nordstrom grecian dresses are gorgeous too.

FWIW from a patagonia wearing granola grrl...I think this would be good, with substantial heels, on you. The best part is you don't have to suck in your tummy and can use a nice necklace/earrings to keep attention at your portrait view? :huh:
                      http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2953689/0~2 ... 010498&P=5

I don't think it works for this model though. (and I'm retarded and can't cut and paste pics without reading the refresher course on it )

eta: nevermind...I posted before reading the legs comment. This is short.
                      Thank you anyway, though! My only concern with this dress is that I've got rather larger boobage for my frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                        Originally posted by alison

Alison, for length you have 2 options, either floor length BUT with high heels, this way the heels will be hidden and you'll just look miraculously taller. Or cocktail length which is just below the knee. Chances are you'll need to alter most dresses because they'll end up hitting the mid-calf (as you can tell I'm too familiar with this problem).

Stella illustrated my point perfectly. Do you see what we mean about well defined waist?
                        This is extremely helpful! Really. I will go cocktail-length with a defined waist, and get the dress altered. I don't see myself in a floor-length dress.

Comment

I would even say right at or just barely above the knee. But, I don't know how you feel about your knees (I hate mine) so I don't know if you'd be comfortable with that.

I really like the last dress you posted. I didn't realize most of mine were purple. They all come in other colors, ya know? So if you like the style, look at the other colors and find it in brown.

Also, make sure you are wearing a super supportive bra in the right size. Sometimes, if your bra isn't a perfect fit, it can add 10 pounds. I have no boobs to speak of, but you do so that's why I say that.

Oh, and I hate my legs too. But, what can ya do? The V-neck is going to draw the attention to your face as well as make you look taller. You should probably wear a LOT of v-necks. I love 'em. If the V is too low and you feel like you are showing too much of the girls, just add a cami underneath.

Comment

Oh, I thought you meant to specifically get the purple. I'm an idiot at this, so I was thinking you weren't just thinking the cut, but also the color.

Thanks for the bra tip. I will make sure that the girls are safely tucked in without any back or boob pudge.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to pick all purple but it totally looks like I was trying to nudge you in that direction, doesn't it?

Truth is I hate purple and don't own a single thing in that color.

Comment

Working...
                              X