Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

VA Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was committed to not going online this week (what with dh's vacation time and all). But, alas, in the name of curiosity over this awful tragedy I am on this evening....

What a horrible, awful, evil thing to have happen! I agree that it appears at this point that the murderer had very deepseated "issues" - if not outright mental illness. His writings are....disturbing to say the least.

I have two thoughts on this mass murder:

1)I am so thankful to live in a country where the worst murder to ever happen involved only 33 people. I have had so many family and friends who were immigrants (from places as farflung as Mexico, the Domican Republic, the Philippines, the Soviet Union - when it existed) relate to me how safe the United States is. And, I would have immigrant friends living in the inner city in Boston (ie NOT what I would consider exactly 'safe') relate such sentiments to me! I feel profoundly blessed to live in a nation where my life is so peaceful and safe considering the circumstances of so very many in this world. And, it IS deeply disturbing when some of that evil invades into our lives in this way.

2)If one person had had a concealed carry permit with a firearm this mass murderer could have been stopped. All it would have taken was ONE person. As it was nobody could stop this apparently insane man. I remember the worst mass murder up until this point in the United States. It happened in the early 90's in Killeen, Texas (ironically the city next to one of the biggest Army bases). A lone gunman walked into a Luby's cafeteria and killed over 20 people. How did Texans react? They logically realized that if ONE person in that cafeteria had been armed this person could have been prevented from killing so many innocents. All it took was ONE person to stop this bloodbath. And, now, today in Texas we have concealed carry laws (and, a corresponding drop in gun-related murders and crime). All it takes is ONE person to stop an evil person intent on harming others.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Stella, Kevin,

This must hit you guys so close. I hope your brother's friends are ok too Stella.

So sad.

Comment

Tabula Rasa, would you really, honestly want children or uni students (including the disturbed or emotional ones...) carrying concealed weapons as a matter of course???? That would scare the absolute sh!t out of me. Young men in particular (although not exclusively) can do enough damage behind the wheel of a car, let alone with a gun in their hand.

The issue of mental illness is extremely and poignantly valid. It affects so much of the population at some time in life, and yet very few (if any?) societies have much in place to deal with it. It is a tragedy in itself.

Comment

I am so impressed with Virginia Tech. Prior to this, I really only knew about the school from collegiate athletics. From every press release, piece of information released, and information not yet released, those involved in this tragedy have been nothing but incredible. In a situation where I think no one has the "right" response or answers, everyone from the president of the university down to students has shown incredible class in their responses and such respect for the victims and their families (especially in not releasing any names until they are sure all next of kin have been notified). They have had a great deal of pressure from the press, and what I can only imagine is a media circus (we've even had people contacted up here for comment on the incident), and those at VA Tech, as well as those helping them, have remained calm and responsive. I honestly don't think the University DH and I have several degrees from would have handled a similar situation with a fraction of the grace of this institution. Hopefully they will be able to reflect on this tragedy with pride at their words and behavior in the face of great adversity.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I was really impressed as to how they handled the release of names. I've had mixed feelings about the notification of students / warnings that should have gone out after the initial 911 call. I honestly feel sorry for the Dean. You know they will 2nd guess their reasoning for the rest of their lives, and I'm certain they have tremendous guilt. I'm sure there will be lawsuits filed (justified or not - I can't say).

I do wish the media would stop focusing on the fact that the killer was an immigrant. He's lived in this country since childhood, (around 10), and was a citizen. He was raised here. He was educated here. His major was English, for Pete's sake! I think the focus on the fact that he was Korean will only feed the anti-"foreigner" groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
              He's lived in this country since childhood, (around 10), and was a citizen.
              Although I agree with your general sentiments, he was here since 8 and is a green card holder, not a citizen.

Again, I'm disappointed in those of you who decided to make this a political debate instead of a thread to show your sorrow and compassion. I know many people who have lost their sons and daughters in this senseless tragedy. While this may not hit home for you, it does for me. It's hits much closer to home for many more. Please use some class and dignity in this thread and save any politics for the Debate forum where I don't need to see it if I'm not to that point yet.

Thanks to those of you that have expressed your concern. Just please keep praying.

Comment

Stella, hang in there - I was in Denver when Columbine happened and listed to it on the radio with co-workers who had children in that school.

You are still in our thoughts and prayers.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Stella
                  Originally posted by Genivieve
                  He's lived in this country since childhood, (around 10), and was a citizen.
                  Although I agree with your general sentiments, he was here since 8 and is a green card holder, not a citizen.
                  My dh just corrected me on this, and I was coming back in to fix it. Same idea, corrected details.

Has your brother heard from his friend yet?

Comment

All but one. His ex girlfriend (of 3 years) was an Engineering major at VT. We were all worried sick about her. She's okay. So are most of his good friends. Haven't heard yet about his other friends. It's hard for him to find all this out while he's in South Carolina. At least for now, it's looking like his friends are going to be alright. However, there have been at least 4 from my general community. We're trying to arrange all the cards/flowers right now from my family.

I really, really appreciate you all caring.

ETA: I didn't mean for my corrections to sound rude! I'm just having a really shitty week and it came out bluntly. Sorry about that.

Comment

I was in Denver too during Columbine and had co-workers wondering about their kids there and friends worried about their neighbors. It is a horrible, horrible wait that no parent should endure.

Hang in there, Stella.

Comment

I didn't mean for my corrections to sound rude!
                        Don't worry, Stella. I was writing in the more removed position of someone overseas, seeing this story on the news - and that alone was almost too much to handle. I can only imagine how hard it must be to have personally known someone affected. I hope you get some good news soon; I'll be thinking of you.

Comment

I just read through the whole thread....and I apologize for debating here in this forum...I hope that everyone is able to get in touch with all of their friends/family and am sorry, Sarah, that you have lost someone you all knew.

What a heinous, awful thing..........

kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Thankfully, my colleague's son was safe. He was actually in Florida for an engineering competition at the time.

Comment

so glad to hear it Kevin. thanks for updating us.

Comment

so sad. here is the list of names of those killed.
                                Victims at Virginia Tech
                                Wednesday, April 18, 2007

By The Associated Press

A list of some of the victims of the shootings at Virginia Tech:

Killed:

_ Ross Abdallah Alameddine, 20, of Saugus, Mass., according to his mother, Lynnette Alameddine.

_ Christopher James Bishop, 35, according to Darmstadt University of Technology in Germany, where he helped run an exchange program.

_ Brian Bluhm, 25, a civil engineering graduate student, according to an announcement by the Detroit Tigers and friends.

_ Ryan Clark, 22, of Martinez, Ga., biology and English major, according to Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins.

_ Austin Cloyd, an international studies major from Blacksburg, Va., according to Terry Harter, senior pastor at First United Methodist Church in Champaign, Ill., where Cloyd and her family lived before moving to Blacksburg.

_ Jocelyne Couture-Nowak, a French instructor, according to her husband, Jerzy Nowak, the head of the horticulture department at Virginia Tech.

_ Daniel Perez Cueva, 21, killed in his French class, according to his mother, Betty Cueva, of Peru.

_ Kevin Granata, age unknown, engineering science and mechanics professor, according to Ishwar K. Puri, the head of the engineering science and mechanics department.

_ Matthew G. Gwaltney, 24, of Chester, Va., a graduate student in civil and environmental engineering, according to his father and stepmother, Greg and Linda Gwaltney.

_ Caitlin Hammaren, 19, of Westtown, N.Y., a sophomore majoring in international studies and French, according to Minisink Valley, N.Y., school officials who spoke with Hammaren's family.

_ Jeremy Herbstritt, 27, of Bellefonte, Pa., according to Penn State University, his alma mater and his father's employer.

_ Rachael Hill, 18, of Glen Allen, Va., according to her father, Guy Hill.

_ Emily Jane Hilscher, a 19-year-old freshman from Woodville, according to Rappahannock County Administrator John W. McCarthy, a family friend.

_ Jarrett L. Lane, 22, of Narrows, Va., according to Riffe's Funeral Service Inc. in Narrows, Va.

_ Matthew J. La Porte, 20, a freshman from Dumont, N.J., according to Dumont Police Chief Brian Venezio.

_ Liviu Librescu, 76, engineering science and mathematics lecturer, according to Puri.

_ G.V. Loganathan, 51, civil and environmental engineering professor, according to his brother G.V. Palanivel.

_ Partahi Lombantoruan, 34, of Indonesia, civil engineering doctoral student, according to Kristiarto Legowo, a spokesman for the foreign ministry.

_ Lauren McCain, 20, of Hampton, Va., international studies major, according to a statement from the family.

_ Daniel O'Neil, 22, of Rhode Island, according to close friend Steve Craveiro and according to Eric Cardenas of Connecticut College, where O'Neil's father, Bill, is director of major gifts.

_ Juan Ramon Ortiz, a 26-year-old graduate student in engineering from Bayamon, Puerto Rico, according to his wife, Liselle Vega Cortes.

_ Minal Panchal, 26, a first-year building-science student from Mumbai, India, according to foreign ministry spokesman Navtej Sarna.

_ Michael Pohle, 23, of Flemington, N.J., according to officials at his high school, Hunterdon Central High.

_ Julia Pryde, age unknown, a graduate student from Middletown, N.J., according to Virginia Tech professor Saied Mostaghimi, chairman of the biological systems and engineering department.

_ Mary Karen Read, 19, of Annandale, Va. according to her aunt, Karen Kuppinger, of Rochester, N.Y.

_ Reema J. Samaha, 18, a freshman from Centreville, Va., according to her family.

_ Maxine Turner, 22, a senior majoring in chemical engineering from Vienna, Va., according to her father, Paul Turner.
                                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                                X