Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Cheap-O Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just fallen in to BS spending because it has been so.damn.hot. We have no A/C and I can't bear the idea of cooking at home - and we keep fleeing to the movie theatre. Now that the cool air is here for a few days, all that spending seems ridiculous. I think I need to target the pool more often; that's paid for!

I've also got my own lunch/dinner treat spot, Jenn. Mine's also more expensive. It's a rolled hummus dawali pita at the local middle eastern place. $5.25. I suppose I can go without. *sob*
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Oooh - Aladdins. I miss the shistawook big time.

Comment

I'll try, but Home Depot and Lowes may go belly up.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Luanne - IKWYM!

Since this starts July 1st, would it be cynical for me to go to Aladdin's today...June 30th? And maybe buy a Starbucks card?
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
            Some YMCA camp near Winter Park- we are flying in on the 21st to acclimate to the elevation and then Thursday head to camp. We will be doing nothing in Denver on the 21st.

Jenn
            Since I never caught you in DC, I'm in. I will probably be doing something in Denver (aka working) but could surely make some time.

Also, while I admire everyone's efforts here, one of my favorite things about having two incomes is being able to buy stupid stuff like frappuccinos, so I don't think I'll be playing this time.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
              Since I never caught you in DC, I'm in. I will probably be doing something in Denver (aka working) but could surely make some time.

Also, while I admire everyone's efforts here, one of my favorite things about having two incomes is being able to buy stupid stuff like frappuccinos, so I don't think I'll be playing this time.
              I'll start a new thread for this meetup and stop hijacking this one.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I am in (more or less). I have given myself a limited budget and pull it out of the bank each week in cash. It must last the week and if I go over, then I get to pull out less the following week. So far it is working.
                Kris

Comment

This is what I would refer to as a " necessities only budget" - we were on it for most of medical school. We seriously rarely went out to eat and we would only got to Starbucks when we had been given a giftcard as a present.

Much like Chrisada we have spent A LOT in the last two months on eating out, vacationing, moving and buying stuff for the house. But because I plan to buy things for fixing up the house and to make it more like home (sale items of course) I don't think I could fully partake in this challenge. It's also wierd because for the first time I actually feel like I can afford to buy a $1 coffee from Dunkin Donuts once a week - and I love it! (DD has $1 coffee from 3-6 p.m.)

Maybe I'll start tracking my non-necessities as a way of reigning in spending and still leaving a little flexibility!
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I really like the day to day spending idea. I don't think I could do all month (although I should) but I would like to try more days than not....
                    Brandi
                    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I admire your effort but I couldn't do it. Every time I've tried it's been like the first day of a diet when all you want is an ice cream sundae. Suddenly my urge to purchase unnecessary stuff becomes 1000x stronger. I haven't shared with you how much I love to shop. I don't buy a lot but I love the transaction so much that I even enjoy going to the store to RETURN things. I even loved going to the grocery store before Baby K decided to ruin it for me. (He hates the grocery store.) And I'm loving my couponing, and groupon, and the like. I want to be one of those ladies that can fill a cart with groceries for $3.77.
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

See, I want to be one of those ladies who COULD fill a cart with groceries for $3.77 but is too lazy to do so and therefore the cart contents cost $377.00 and I won't bat a flippin' eye. and yes, I need help to the car...

Jenn

Comment

Groupons hurt me...but it hurts so good!

I am a Starbucks fiend, but I'm hoping to decrease that since we got an espresso maker for the wedding--even though I tried it and made the worst latte ever. I really only care about Pumpkin Spice Lattes and their holiday drinks anyway, so I used some of the points I got from my debit card purchases to buy $75 in Starbucks gift cards. That should get me through the Pumpkin Spice/Eggnog Latte holiday season! I hope.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

The Cheap-O Challenge

Daily sounds good to me ... Especially since I just *gulp* went nuts shopping and bought a D and B purse for eeek 245 and then some new pants. Someone stop me!

Leaving for jellystone with kids tomorrow. So ... I need to plan carefully!

Kris
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm inspired. You are leaving on a road trip with kids and plan on being a cheapo??? Roadtrips are the worst for me - nothing tastes better than overpriced rest stop softdrinks & snacks....not to mention stopping at little stores where you find things you would "never" find at home. I am horrible on road trips - out of control. BUT YOU - if you can do it on a road trip with kiddos, I can too. Go Kris!!
                              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                                See, I want to be one of those ladies who COULD fill a cart with groceries for $3.77 but is too lazy to do so and therefore the cart contents cost $377.00 and I won't bat a flippin' eye. and yes, I need help to the car...

Jenn
                                Right there with you Jenn.
                                Tara
                                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                                X