Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Cheap-O Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day One July Cheap-o-Challenge: Fail. (Wa wa wa)

I bought birthday presents for my kid -- but at least I used my Dick's discount coupon and put back a few of the little things that I was going to get "just because".

I'm off for the weekend so Cheap-o will not be a possibility. I'll check back in on July 5th. Hopefully, I can be good then.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm not even going to pretend to try, but it's a great idea. I'll be rooting for whoever is participating.

Comment

I'd say it counts!

I failed as well- I got Vietnamese food for lunch today- but in my defense, we didn't have any leftovers and we're out of bread so I can't even make a sandwich.

Jenn

Comment

I'm totally not participating especially since we just found out we'll have to buy DH a new MacBook this weekend - but I'm enjoying reading all of the justifications you guys can come up with for spending money that isn't "necessary"
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

and failed on day two as well- Macy's 4th of July sale- free shipping for purchases over $100 plus 6% cash back at ebates.com. I bought brand new towels since the nicest ones I have were purchased at Costco when I got divorced. and in a side note, you all know I'm on this buy American kick- figuring that if I'm going to spend money, I'm going to keep some American factory employee working as well. I searched PAGES of towels on the Macy's website before I found a set made in America. and bonus points because the cotton was grown in Africa with a grant from the Gates Foundation to teach African Farmers sustaining farming practices, then it's shipped to the US and made here.

So, I can totally justify that. and I bought lunch again- at the local Vegetarian place that grows most of their own food, uses wind power and solar power and also biodegradable serveware. So, at least I was 'green' and patriotic today.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
              and failed on day two as well- Macy's 4th of July sale- free shipping for purchases over $100 plus 6% cash back at ebates.com. I bought brand new towels since the nicest ones I have were purchased at Costco when I got divorced. and in a side note, you all know I'm on this buy American kick- figuring that if I'm going to spend money, I'm going to keep some American factory employee working as well. I searched PAGES of towels on the Macy's website before I found a set made in America. and bonus points because the cotton was grown in Africa with a grant from the Gates Foundation to teach African Farmers sustaining farming practices, then it's shipped to the US and made here.

So, I can totally justify that. and I bought lunch again- at the local Vegetarian place that grows most of their own food, uses wind power and solar power and also biodegradable serveware. So, at least I was 'green' and patriotic today.

Jenn
              I love you Jenn!
              Kris

Comment

I can babystep into a day or a week? I have a few things that I'm currently looking to purchase. First, I'm scanning the sales for back to school sales otherwise my kids will be nekked. Also, we still need stuff for the new house and I'm scanning the ads. I don't want to have to rush to buy everything at once. Still, I'm all about getting off of our current spending plan which resembles spending like a drunken sailor.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Back to school- I just ordered three uniform shirts from the Lands End Sale, plus a new back pack and a lunch box. He trashed his sandals at the lake yesterday (not to mention stepping in fire ants TWICE) so I'm hoping we'll get motivated today to go buy the kid new sandals. That would entail having to get dressed and leave the house and I was informed this morning that he's not going anywhere and is wearing jammies all day.

Jenn

Comment

I think flowers count as medicinal, don't you?

J.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                      I think flowers count as medicinal, don't you?

J.
                      A mental health pick-me-up is medicinal.
                      Kris

Comment

Hehe I am cracking up reading these. We are obviously medical spouses because we're all enablers! I do need to try to cut back my spending, too, but honestly I'm just not motivated enough...
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I've recently set up a budget and goals on mint.com. It's forced me to come to terms with just how little more is coming in than going out in a typical month. I know that aways, applying and interviewing for residency and then moving is going to be horribly expensive. We did *reasonably* well while I was unemployed at not spending very much...but as soon as I started working again, we made up for it, with a vengeance; guess we were just putting off the spending, not actually forgoing it completely. Last month was not pretty. We need to cut back if we want to have enough money saved up to get to the next stage with any kind of financial buffer in place. But...I don't know about trying to spend nothing. I think "less than last month" is as good as my goal for this month is going to get.
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

YAY I didn't buy a thing today, but only because Walmart was out of what I needed.... But it is a victory!!
                            Brandi
                            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Not having a car helps! But not really, because it is only being repaired...I get the nice $1100 bill today. *Waves goodbye to wedding gift money*
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Fail, fail, fail. I'm a cheapo loooooser. Being cheap while traveling is hard. However, this has curb my spending on things I did not think twice about before.
                                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                                X