Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Shoe Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoe Recommendation

I want to buy Matt a good pair of shoes for the OR for Christmas. He was complaining of his back hurting him- had a pair of clogs he bought from Payless shoes about 4 years ago that have bit the dust-- Matt wore them until the sole was literally gone. We bought him a new pair of tennis shoes, but I know he misses being able to slip on his shoes for work, and he has expressed that he wishes he had a good pair of clogs for the OR.

I found a pair on EBay for $30-- the brand is Anywear. Does anyone know if this is good? What do your surgerical or medical hubbies or wives wear when in the OR?

Thanks in advance...

Crystal
    Gas, and 4 kids

I don't know anything about Anywear. My husband wears Skechers and LOVES them. We got them at an outlet store on sale. He now wears them everywhere ... home, work and church!

Robin

Comment

My medicine husband wore Dansko clogs (with a back) every time he was on call, and I'm sure surgery docs wear them as well. I know nurses wear them, too. They're expensive but they lasted for three years and probably still have a little life left in them. I also have a pair that's lasted for years. They are made very well and are really easy to take on and off, one thing which was a must for my husband when he got paged at 4 a.m. in the morning! I've also heard Merills are good but I don't have any first hand knowledge of them. I haven't heard of Anywhere...maybe check epinions.com?

I'm sure he'll really appreicate the gift!

Comment

You mean you live in Seattle and your husband doesn't wear Birkenstocks???!!

My DW wouldn't wear anything else(that is where she is from!)....they too are on the expensive side, but the covered toe pair is now on its 4th year. They have seen it all, and been covered in it all, as well. They still clean-up nice too...although they never see any action other than hospital flooring.

Comment

My DH also wears Dansko clogs. I think a lot of hospital staff must wear Dansko because when he bought them the shoe store gave him a discount because he was a hospital employee! They were fairly pricey ($100+, I think), but they are extremely durable and very, very comfortable. We bought them almost two years ago and aside from some stains from body fluids (ugh, those ORs can get messy! ), they are still in very good shape. They are leather with a back, which makes them almost look like street shoes (this is nice because he can also wear them on clinic days but still be comfortable). He really likes them, so I'd recommend this brand. I've not heard anything about the Anywear brand.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I think we may have found a good deal... I found a pair of Calzuro (not that this matters) but they are autoclavable up to 300 degrees F, plus I can throw them in the wash with his scrubs . Dh laughed when I told him that the shoes are autoclavable. They're going for $10. I did some researching and they retail for $75.

Matt-- I would buy him a pair of Birks but they are expensive, plus I wasn't sure how well ventilated they are. I know that is a complaint of Matt's that his feet are not well ventilated. I keep thinking in a year and a half we won't be dirt poor, we'll be able to at least meet our clothing needs on a regular basis not when we become desperate. Our kids seem to come first these days, funny how that happens.

Everyone else thank you for your recommendations! If this pair of shoes we're considering doesn't pan out then we will check out Birkenstocks and Dansko.

Crystal
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Just to second the Birks recommendation-

Rick's are going on their fourth year of hospital duty and are going strong. He may need to replace the insole soon, but the outside is in great shape.

He wears cotton breathable socks when he wears them and makes sure that they get to "airout" every once in a while.

Jenn

PS- For those of you who have husbands who wear Class A/B uniforms to work, my husband bought Doc Martens, blacked over the yellow stitching and wears them everyday. He keeps them shined all pretty and says they're WAY more comortable than the standard issue shoes. Unfortunately the females don't have that option.... at last if they wear skirts.

Comment

I have two pairs of Dansko shoes -- one clogs, one sandals. The running joke around here is that I have my summer Danskos and my winter Danskos. Yes, both ran me around $90 to $100 per pair, but when you consider how much I have worn them and how great of shape they are in, it doesn't seem so bad.
                I've had the clogs for 3.5 years and truly wear them almost every day in the winter. They still look and feel great.
                I've had some minor but perpetual knee/lower back issues and have to wear orthotics in most of my other shoes (they won't fit in Danskos). My feet, knees, hip feel great even if I wear these all day.
                I've noticed a lot of hospital and restaurant employees wear these shoes and I know why!
                There is a Dansko "seconds" website and you can get them for around $60/pair I think. I haven't purchased from them (yet): http://www.danskooutlet.com/

Comment

I have a pair of Danskos, and they usually hurt my feet at the end of the day. Not blister type hurt, just achy feet. I got them at a thrift store (perfect condition for $4!!!!) but i dont think i would buy them again (well new anyways). I wonder if it is just me bc everyone i know raves about them.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I'll third (or fourth?) the Birkenstock recommendation. Mike bought the hard plastic black clogs and the extra cushy insoles back in internship and they've been going strong ever since. The dog hasn't even been able to chew them up, and not for lack of trying, either. And they're WAY easy to clean if they get blood (or worse) spilled on them, which alone makes them worth what you'll pay for them. I even wear them (we're close in size) when I get blisters on my feet from hiking--they're about the only thing that feels good.

Comment

Working...
                    X