Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

AMA Alliance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMA Alliance?

I've seen AMA Alliance mentioned on here a few times recently. Is anyone a member of the national group or the state groups? What's the benefit or the reason for joining? I visited their website, but I figured you'd all have the real info.

I was treasurer of my local alliance during residency and I found it to be a valuable experience. But I think it probably varies from city to city.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

What was valuable about it? Was it mainly just the personal connections you made?

Comment

Definitely personal connections. And mentorship. It was like imsn irl.

Comment

I've been to some of the local events-- we were members last year and they were fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have not joined the one here, I know MrsK knows some of the members but at least the ones active near me are at least 20+ years older then me. I prefer to join groups with same age/experience members. In both residency and fellowship it was difficult because their activities were always during the day with no childcare.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              I have not joined the one here, I know MrsK knows some of the members but at least the ones active near me are at least 20+ years older then me. I prefer to join groups with same age/experience members. In both residency and fellowship it was difficult because their activities were always during the day with no childcare.
              This is true. I was only able to do it because I had reliable childcare. I was also younger than most of the members but I felt like I benefited from their experience and connections.

Comment

I was certainly the youngest too. I believe AMAA is working to expand membership to a younger demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by JediMaster View Post
                  I was certainly the youngest too. I believe AMAA is working to expand membership to a younger demographic.

Yes. ^^^^
                  The residency alliances are different than post training alliances in my state. Although, we do invite the in training/med school alliance to the county events.

I became involved only to educate myself on the state of medicine. Yes, they do some social stuff but it is the advocacy/education/service part that I mostly attend. I now serve at the state level and that is why I am probably such a debbie downer re:medicine...and as I stated on another thread, I am in a physician friendly state.
                  Last edited by medpedspouse; 01-08-2015, 11:15 PM.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Ours is pretty active here. I have been invited to join. I haven't decided if I will. I'm not much of a joiner.

Needs

Comment

I don't think we have a formal one here but we do have a Med Spouse Alliance. Unfortunately, they only meet during the day (playgroups, etc) which doesn't work if you WOTH.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I hadn't heard of it until all this LDW hubbub. Sounds like something I'd love to join, but then again I haven't even gotten my ass over to see Dr.B, and she's lived here since June!

Comment

Is there any point in joining the state alliance if they don't have a local county chapter in your area? (Not thinking about right now, but thinking ahead to where we might end up after fellowship.)

Comment

AMA Alliance?

I looked into the NY one...it's not near me and doesn't seem super active/organized. I miss the Hartford spouse/family group. Few ppl here have spouses/families in residency and the ones that do don't seem interested in socializing at all...

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                              Is there any point in joining the state alliance if they don't have a local county chapter in your area? (Not thinking about right now, but thinking ahead to where we might end up after fellowship.)
                              In my state the Alliance is very advocacy active. Honestly, I would rather spend my time doing other things and not spending the money to go to the state events but with the current state of medicine, I feel like I need to educate myself...DH doesn't have time.
                              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                              X