Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Oh NOW I Feel Like a Bride: My First Wedding Horror Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh NOW I Feel Like a Bride: My First Wedding Horror Story

So, our wedding ceremony is going to be held in a gallery in the local county museum in my hometown. This is what it looked like when we rented it:

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...09140000001610[/img]

We knew that the exhibit would change between the time we rented the room and the time of our wedding, but the site coordinator lady said that they could take down whatever was hanging on that front wall, and they had pretty folding screens that could be placed in front of the side walls if we wanted. Ok, good.

So, I was in my hometown doing wedding stuff this past weekend, and my Mom mentioned that the new exhibit, the one that would be there through the time of the wedding, was up at the museum, and we should go out and take a look.

This is what the room looks like now:

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...5bc80000001610[/img]

Why, yes, now that you mention it, that is a 4'x6' blowup photo of a guy in a football helmet (Walter Payton of the Chicago Bears) looming over the very spot where we're supposed to exchange our wedding vows. I already had a total lack of enthusiasm for spectator sports, and this isn't helping.

So as my mother and I are standing in the doorway looking on in barely disguised horror, the site coordinator lady walks up behind us and says "Oh, are you thinking of renting the room?" My mom (who is one of the most diplomatic people on the planet) says we already have, actually, for a wedding in May, introduces herself (she'd only met the lady briefly months ago, and I'd only spoken to her on the phone) exchanges pleasantries, blah blah blah, and my mom is like "Now, for the ceremony we could take down . . ." and the lady says "Those two on the front doors." And my mom nicely says "Only those two, I thought it was the whole wall?" and the lady's like "Well, we could do those four across the front." And my mom's like "And the big one--" And the lady firmly cuts in "That can't come down."

Right.

So at that point we just say goodbye and leave, because we need to regroup and think and I need to not blurt out any swear words. As soon as we got to the car, though, I was like "Mom, there's no way I can get married standing under that picture. It's a deal-breaker. If we don't get married here, though, I don't know where we'll do it." It's a small town--it's not like there's a potential wedding venue on every corner--plus these people already have our money. Have I mentioned that the invitations have already been ordered?

So my mom suggests we go to the fabric store to see if they have anything suitable for draping over that thing. We did, in fact, find some lightweight completely opaque white drapery liner that seems like it would work to cover this thing up.

So by this time it's the next day, which is the lady's day off, but my mom calls (my mom has been the main contact person for this particular wedding vendor) and leaves a detailed message on her machine about what we'd like to do. We agreed it's good she got to leave a message, because then the lady may actually think about it, instead of saying "no" on autopilot like she's seemed inclined to do in the past.

So the lady hasn't called back yet, my mom is supposed to call me as soon as she does.

Suddenly I'm one of those brides who can't sleep because of wedding stress. :|
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

I'm having trouble getting it to post the images, but the URL seems to be working.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

Oh no Julie! The draping sounds like a great idea, that woman better not say NO!

Comment

I considered myself to be a pretty laid-back bride, but that would have pushed me over the edge! I hope they go for the fabric idea!
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I also was a laid-back bride, but really. That thing would be coming down or there would be hell to pay! Honestly, how can they expect you to get married under THAT??? If she says no, then you should be able to back out of your contract and get your money back. What sane person would get married under Walter Peyton???

I feel for you, Julie. Keep us posted and I hope the fabric idea works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagny
            What sane person would get married under Walter Peyton???
            My thoughts exactly. I'm sure there is some diehard Bears (that's who he played for, right?) fan out there who would kill to be in your position....but in your case..... :! (Ok, I've just been dying for a reason to use that guy).

This definitely could be the makings of a wedding horror story!

If they can't help you cover that up somehow, I think that is a good reason to cancel the contract, get your $$$ back, and find a new location. Like eloping in Hawaii (that's what I always threatened to do when we were planning our wedding ).

I hope this all resolves SOON! Keep us updated.

Comment

The fabric idea sounds great. It looks like it may high enough that it won't get in many pictures. I can't believe they won't take the picture down, or that they didn't have any idea what the next exhibit would be when you reserved the space.

Originally posted by nmh
              I'm sure there is some diehard Bears (that's who he played for, right?) fan out there who would kill to be in your position....but in your case..... :!
              I grew up in Green Bay and every weekend in the summer people get married/have pictures taken in the parking lot of Lambeau Field. I don't know if this happens at NFL stadiums all over the country, but I always thought it strange. I bet if they had a Packers room like the one in the picture it would be booked solid.

Hopefully this will be the only horror story associated with your wedding!

Comment

:football: The only irony I see which I can't resist pointing out is that Walter Peyton's nickname was "sweetness" and that seems appropriate for a wedding . Sorry, I couldn't resist. The fabric idea sounds great and I can't see why the curator would balk at that. I'm pretty confident everything will work out for you. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

Comment

OMG, Julie, I'm so horrified for you!! I hope the fabric idea thing works out. I still don't really understand why it can't come down for one day if you're paying for the use of the space. That sounds ridiculous to me! Good luck, I hope it works out.
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Julie, if you guys can climb a ladder to cover that thing up (no offense whatsoever to Walter Peyton!), why can't you guys take it down yourselves. Somebody can always hang it back up. You'd have to climb the ladder again anyway to get the fabric down. I think that woman is being unreasonable. Has she ever been married? Maybe she's bitter or something. I mean REALLY. Does she not realize this is completely ridiculous???

Comment

You mentioned that the gallery has pretty screens you can cover the front wall with, are they high enough to cover that picture? Also did you sign a contract with the gallery, is there anything there about you having a right to take down installations? I learned early on in the process not to trust any verbal promises from vendors and to make sure they put everything in writing. Keep us updated as to what the mean lady says.

Comment

It is all so unbelievable... I really really hope this works out-- talk about a stress you do not need! Sounds like your mom is a good person to handle this though! I would absolutely lose it!!!
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Wow. It is a really big picture of Walter Peyton. Surely they would understand that some sort of change would need to be made for a wedding. I cant wait to hear how it goes. Good luck.
                          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

What's the status, Julie? Any news?

Comment

Still no word. I guess we should give them another call, but I'm kind of wondering if giving it a little more time will give other spring brides the chance to become aware of the situation and also protest, so that ours isn't the sole objection. We should probably get it resolved soon, though, because it's causing me stress.

Comment

Working...
                              X