Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Irrational fears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heights and bridges!!!
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Grasshoppers--I know they are a benign insect but I absolutely freak out if one happens to jump on or near me. I scream like a little girl.
      Flying (though I will suck it up and get on a plane if some desirable location is beckoning).
      I also lay in bed at night coming up with all kinds of scenarios of fire, intruders, etc., and try to figure out how I'm going to get the kids, dog, and myself out of the house safely.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I am desperately afraid of bees and wasps. When I was a little girl, I jumped off a diving board that happened to have a hive of wasps underneath it. I was planning an impressive swan dive, and by the time I made it to the water I had no less than seven stings. Traumatized me for life

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
          Social situations that involve "mingling" with strangers, or worse, people I know just barely. Ugh, small talk!
          That is a good one, too. Snakes are worse. Small talk about snakes would be a deeper level of hell.

Comment

Yeah, I have to say I'm a little funny about going down escalators as well, and now that my kids are sort of independently riding them I am holding my breath that they don't fall down them or get some article of clothing or body part entrapped in them. I go through little phases where bridges scare me--that one comes and goes, don't ask me why?
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I forgot about my fear of bees, wasps, hornets, etc. I freak out a little when they are near.

Plus, they follow me....I swear.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

FLYING!!! Hate, hate, hate it. I had 2 aborted takeoffs as a child - one because of a wildcat airtraffic controller strike in London and one where the tires on the plane exploded and we skidded off the runway. Somehow, this didn't bother me until I was all grown up. Now, I can't stand getting on a plane. With 9/11, I'm pretty much a basketcase. For the sake of the kids, we say that "Mommy gets airsick." I don't want them to catch the fear thing from me. As it is, they won't sit next to me because they are afraid I'm going to hurl on them.

I also have the breaking my front teeth in a fall thing. Don't know why!! I just always think about that when I'm walking down a staircase and my hands are occupied. I'll fall and land on my *face* and knock my teeth out. I've never heard of anyone else feeling that way!
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie, it's good to know that I am not alone in my crazy fear of falling downstairs and knocking my teeth out I somehow feel much better about my paranoia.
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Danielle and Angie,
                    Have you ever had a dream about your teeth falling out? I have to admit that is a fear of mine too!! Thanks guys for helping me rekindle my forgotten fears!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Ha, I always have dreams where my teeth fall out!!
                      I agree with Julie, I hate talking to people I don't know.

I also HATE HATE HATE crickets. Those black buggy eyes scare me. They give me the creeps!!

Comment

I have a paralyzing fear of wasps...but I don't consider it irrational after having been descended upon by hoardes several times last summer and repeatedly stung. I spent part of today outside chasing them down with spray so as to avoid a repeat of last year.

I have those weird teeth dreams too. And I loathe small talk with strangers!!!! I get so annoyed when I am flying and the person next to me wants to blah, blah, blah.

My one completely irrational fear is that I just can't sit amid a ton of people at a movie or concert/opera. Just can't do it, I start to hyperventilate.

Comment

ants
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Michele you would not have liked my garden today! I pulled up a brick walkway and uncovered the most enormous anthill. It was like a 5' X 5' open air ant farm. My daughter got a little freaked out...but my son thought it was cool. Unfortunately, I was forced to slaughter them. It's unbelievable how many ants were under that walk.
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

And now for the really weird...

I'm afraid of breaking my forearms or wrists.

I can't even begin to explain it.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I don't like flying or crawling insects, I totally freak out around a bee or even a dragonfly. DH makes fun of me every time we go to the park. I also have a huge fear of moving to the suburbs. I always lived in a big city my whole life (not counting short country stints in the summer) and I'm not sure how well or soon I'll adjust to the 'burbs. On top of that, my most irrational fear is of being pregnant and giving birth. I guess it's a case of too much knowlege that's freaking me out. Half of DH's friends are OB residents and they like to discuss their daily work during social occassions. I've heard about so many freakish details from them and my friends who already have kids that just the thought of being pregnant makes me hyperventilate. Of course this is one more opportunity for DH to make fun of me. He even promised to hook me up to an epidural as soon as I get a positive test.

Comment

Working...
                                X