So, a new year! What better way to start than creating a blog?! Aside from a few random thoughts on MySpace, I've never really done this before, so feel free to "Mark Topics Read" and move on if it's dull.

A little about me.
I'm 27 years old and married for 8½ years to a wonderful man who happens to be a doctor. He's in his intern year of anesthesia residency in Oklahoma. I am a business analyst for an insurance company, which means that I write the requirements for software changes. My job is basically like Office Space, only less interesting. I have two cats, Silver (8) and Monty (2). I am pretty much a geek, and I love it. I play World of Warcraft and I'm weaning myself off of Final Fantasy XI, (both are online video games). I read a lot. Currently reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and really hoping they release the last book before I finish. (I HATE waiting on series!) We also love to eat out and go to movies.

My brief history.
I grew up in a very small town in SE Oklahoma. My mom is a barber, and my dad was a TV repair man when I was little. When TVs got too cheap to repair, he went to work for the electric company, where he went from meter reading to their engineer. He is also a volunteer fireman and the county 911 system DBA, as well as farming/ranching. I have a sister who is a year older than me, and she teaches elementary special education.

I liked school and did well in my classes. I participated in Odyssey of the Mind from the 6th grade until the 10th grade. I don't know if it's still around, but I think it is a fantastic experience for students. It really helped me build confidence and problem-solving skills. I also joined band in the 6th grade, and played the trumpet. Since we were such a small school, 7th graders were allowed to be in the marching band, so I started that the next year. In the 10th grade, I auditioned and was selected for the flag corps, and that was a lot of fun.

When I was 15 (junior year of high school), I went to a Math & Science school in Oklahoma City. We lived in dorms and took mostly college level classes, about 25-30 credit hours per semester. My husband and I met there and started dating. After high school, we went to The University of Oklahoma. During our Freshman year of college, we decided that we weren't going to find anyone better, so we might as well get married! We had some scholarships, and the Pell grant money flowed in once we were married people with no income. College was so much fun we decided to stay an extra year. Okay, truth - I had started out pre-med, but I decided it wasn't for me, and I didn't want to be in a 2-doctor marriage, so I switched to the business college, where I had to make up some time.

So, after 5 years of college (best 5 years of my life - I wasn't joking about that!), the joy that is medical school began. My husband was accepted to UT Southwestern in Dallas, and I got a job at a banking software company, and everything seemed perfect. Well, my job turned out to be pretty crappy - tons of hours, lots of travel, and a really toxic corporate environment. And medical school was, well, medical school. After 2½ years, I finally got another job at a banking company as a software tester, and I was a million times happier. The job had its share of problems, but no more than a normal job. It made me realize how extremely bad my first one really was.

Then came the Match! We were planning on staying in Dallas, which had finally grown on us, but Surprise! he matched in Oklahoma. It was our 3rd choice (and Galveston was our 2nd - thank goodness THAT didn't work out!), so we were really happy after our initial shock wore off.

And here we are - back in the same city where we first started dating. We live in a suburb just north of OKC and are loving it. We lived in a pretty rough neighborhood in Dallas, and I still get freaked out even stepping out in my back yard when DH is on call, but I'm getting better!

And for the future...
Right now, I'm so excited about going on a cruise in March, so that's about all I can think of. We plan to start TTC this summer if we can save up enough money, but I want to stay at home when we have a baby, so we'll see. I think we'll end up staying in OKC after he finishes residency, as long as he can get into a good group around here. We wouldn't be opposed to moving back to Texas, or one of the surrounding states, but I want to stay within driving distance of our parents.

So - that's my blog! Wish me luck on writing more. I'll try! Hopefully this doesn't turn out like the 547ish journals I've attempted to write, where I forget about it after a few entries!