My nephew (first on my side of the family) was born around 12:30 this morning. He weighed 7 lbs., 7 oz., and has been breathing on his own since birth, which is really good, given his diagnosis/prognosis. Right now, his first heart surgery is planned for Monday. My sister is doing very well, although I hope she got a chance to crash this afternoon. Her husband is from a fairly large family who all live nearby, and they are there giving lots of support. I was the lone representative from Adrienne's side of the family, and kind of felt like I was crashing the party. I absolutely love her husband's family, don't get me wrong, and I am so thankful that Adrienne has all of them......heaven knows that her mom and dad could not provide the same things that her husband's family is in terms of emotional support. I just want to let her know that I am here for her and I care, but I think it is easier for her to go with his side of the family and keep them all informed. They all got calls right when he was born (those that weren't at the hospital already, that is) while I didn't hear anything until 9:00 this morning, and she didn't seem to want me to come to the hospital last night. I haven't even seen her since Christmas, (we live 30 minutes apart) and didn't know until today that she had developed gestational diabetes at the end of this pregnancy.....which seems strange to me, given DH's specialty. This isn't about me, and I don't even know why I am posting all of this.....I just feel bad that she doesn't have much support from her side of the family (myself included, if I am honest, since I am so busy all of the time) and wish it could be different. The legacy of divorce/remarriage.....it is the gift that keeps on giving, that's for sure. When I left the hospital today, I was the only person on her side of the family that knew Owen had been born, including her parents. Oh, well, enough of my whining. I am going to visit again tomorrow, and take the boys with me, at her request. Here is a picture of the baby......honestly, he looks like any other newborn I have seen. When I think of the surgery coming up, I can hardly stand it for him.

We came back from our short Spring Break trip last night. We spent Friday night with our good friends who live about an hour south of here. We have all been friends for fifteen years, when DH and I were newlyweds and they were engaged. We had our first babies about six weeks apart, and each of us ended up with three kids. We have stayed close through many moves, but somehow, since we moved back, it is almost impossible for us to get together.....so we decided to start our spring break with them. We had a great time!

As we were getting ready to leave their house on Saturday morning, DH thought it would be fun to play around with a "rip-stick" (skateboard with only two wheels) that their oldest daughter had. He wiped out and really could have broken his neck, but only ended up with a skinned elbow and sore shoulder/side for his trouble. I wasn't amused. After leaving there, we drove to Sevierville, TN, where we had rented a cabin in the woods. It was really a great place. There were three levels, with a king bedroom/bath on each level, as well as a set of twin bunks and a pull-out couch on the lower level. There were five tvs, two dvd players, a pool table, and a hot tub, too, as well as a full kitchen. It was awesome! We met DH's brother and his family there....they drove over from Charlotte. I can't remember if I have posted about this before, but they have adopted all of their children because they aren't able to have biological children. Their oldest is about six weeks younger than Nathan. They adopted a baby girl last February, after another adoption fell through at the last minute, and then out of the blue were presented with the opportunity to adopt again (a boy this time) this past December, which they did just two weeks after hearing about the possibility for the first time. We had only met their second daughter once, and had never met their new little boy, so we were really looking forward to our visit! Here is a picture of all of the kids together.

My boys had a great time with all of their cousins, but Emma Claire, who is 13 months old, was especially entertaining to all of us!

Nathan had lots of fun playing with Kate, who is close to him in age.

Carter, the baby, had a cold and was up most of the night that they stayed with us. It woke DH and I up, but we didn't have to get up with him, so it wasn't that much of a bother. He was feeling better the next day, though, and was awfully sweet.

My sister-in-law definitely has her hands full with two little ones 10 months apart! She tends to be on the particular side, so this has been a stretch for her.....but she is handling it with lots of grace.

They left the next day, after a very filling lunch at the "Apple Barn". YUM! After they left, the boys took advantage of the pool and the mini-golf course at the resort where we were staying, and then we went back to our cabin. DH and I took a nap while the boys watched a movie, and then we cooked some frozen pizzas and just hung out the rest of our time there. It was really awesome to just be able to relax together. I read two books while we were there! I don't know when the last time was that I was so relaxed. Here is a picture DH and I took of ourselves while the kids were playing mini-golf.

We drove to Nashville the next day and had dinner with my sister and her husband, who were married last summer. They are doing well. We came home yesterday, but stopped off at the outlet center on the way home to get some spring clothes for the boys. We got some nice things for not too much $$$$, at least when you consider how much we were able to get. DH went back to work today at about 11, and will be on call solid until next Wednesday. He splits Spring Break with his partner, but his partner has no qualms about taking his kids out of school, so they aren't coming back right when Spring Break ends. It will even out, though, because our kids also have April 23 - 25 off, and DH and I have arranged to take those days off, too.....we are headed to a condo on Clearwater Beach! We have had a cooler than average March (not that it is ever what you would call warm) and I am more than ready for some sunshine.....I hope the days between now and then pass quickly!

Tomorrow, we will visit my sister in the hospital, get haircuts, and pick up the dog. Friday, Luke has the state geography bee downtown, and Saturday, the boys and I, along with my mom, are going to drive over to the school where my sister teaches, outside of Cincinnati, to see the musical her high school students are putting on. Sunday will be church, and then we'll be back to school.....but only 7 weeks left in the year!

I really appreciate all of your kind thoughts and words of support about Adrienne and baby Owen. I will keep you all updated.[/QUOTE]