Letters of recommendation...such a pain in the butt. We all know that our spouses and significant others didn't get where they are today just because they were in the right place at the right time. It's taken years of hard work, dedication, and support; so when it comes time to apply to residency, fellowship, an attending position, or for boards and other professional organizations, why must we submit so many letters of rec? I'm sure the "powers that be" spend hours pouring over each and every one of these letters, noting in great detail how wonderful this doc is. ...something tells me that's not quite how it goes. Have you ever attempted to gather these letters? I have, and I realized that I was doing it wrong.

First of all, these docs and esteemed colleagues of our spouses are busy...really busy. I'm sure the last thing they want to do at the end of the day is sit down and write this letter, that is if they happen to remember. Keep in mind, a half assed letter can actually do more harm than good!

What DOES actually work though:
Instead of asking for a letter of recommendation, provide one that either you or your spouse has written. Ask the attending to read over this letter and if he or she agrees with the content, to print it out on their letter head, sign and send it in or make the necessary adjustments. So far, we've had 100% success with this. Not only does this get done and sent in the same day, but you are aware of what the letter says.