This week I lost someone close to me, a very special person. On Sunday I got a call from my Dad in Ireland, saying that my aunt had died suddenly. She was just 46 years old. I'm still finding it difficult to come to terms with. She was so full of life. She was the kind of person who made friends with everyone. She was more like a 26 years old. She worked hard but knew how to enjoy herself too. She filled every minute of every day and rarely had time to herself.

On Monday, I got on the plane and went back to Ireland. I hadn't seen my family in almost a year and to have to return under those circumstances was hard. Those two days I will never forget, and I never want to have to experience anything like it again. There was one moment, in the funeral home, 50 or so people, some of the toughest men I know, and I saw every one of them break down in tears. It was tragic. She had planned to get married in the next couple of years, give up her job and stay at home to manage her little farm, where she bred beautiful thoroughbred horses. She had a gift with animals. She would come home after mucking out stables and in thirty minutes would be transformed into the beautiful, elegant person that she was. She was a lady.

I came home yesterday and it's still hard. I think being so far away is worse. I'm constantly checking in on my family. They are all very close. She had 11 siblings and my grandparents. At least they have each other. They're still reeling though. The cause of her death is still unknown and because of her job it is still being investigated. I'm pretty certain it was of natural causes but the uncertainty is awful.

The song by Coldplay "Lights Will Guide You Home" was played at her funeral. They were her favourite band.

I know that she's in a better place now.
May she rest in peace.