An update.....

So, in the last 3 months I.....

1) Quit the worst job I've ever had, after sticking it out for three months. I posted about it in the call room. The people there were FREAKS!!

2) Went to Ireland. I finally got to go back and introduce DH to my grandparents, extended family. They loved him, which I knew they would and I got the official approval (after a year of marriage). It was a wonderful trip and I got to show DH the farm, my Dad even had him herding the cattle, taking advantage of the extra help. We did a lot of travelling and visited friends, it was good to be back, although it terrified me that it felt less like home and will even more so when we go next year. I wasn't prepared for this!. There are times when I really do miss it

3) Moved apartments. This one is soo much better, feels much more like home and I can see us staying here until the end of residency (funny how our lives are mapped out according to DH's job)

4) Had another vacation this month. We drove to Vermont and Montreal and had a great time. Long drive but it was worth it. Montreal is an amazing city. Can't wait to go back there. Vermont is somewhere we see ourselves settling down. I love the countryside there.

5) Started a new job a week ago. It's interesting and I'm working with normal people so I'm happy. I never was very career focused. To me a job is just a job. Maybe that will change but for now, it suits me.

And now..........

DH is doing great in his new program. His six month evaluation was glowing. His switching programs has leased a whole new life for us. We are finally able to spend time together (only 3 calls a month), and found out that we actually do get along. I know that he will have difficult rotations but after 18 months of surgery, we can handle it. I am just realizing now, how damaging surgery residency was to our relationship, not a good way to start married life. If we had continued down that path I don't know where we'd be now!! I think DH was in an exceptionally bad program and the residents were treated like crap. I'm soo thankful that he made that switch.