Ok, I'm going to approach one of my pet peeves today and I'm sure I'll get some stones thrown at me for this one - but this is my journal I can say whatever I want!

I'm going to start a personal crusade against the "neurosurgery is the devil" thought process. I'm not saying some aren't, I can think of one off of the top of my head where residents are treated like slaves, attendings yell at residents on a regular basis and staff is literally scared of the chair.

I'm also not going to say that DH's program is perfect - but there ARE programs where neurosurgeons can, and do, have lives. The quarter is almost over, and DH has exceeded his hours three weeks. Three, out of 12, I don't consider that to be a bad thing. Yes the nights that he's on call suck but they suck for every specialty. I guess my thought process is that if you're in neurosurgery for the right reasons you'll find a program that is family friendly and makes learning enjoyable.

I also need to start this crusade locally because there is one spouse here who we all worry about on a regular basis because she is SO negative about the program.

Maybe I have a skewed outlook, maybe because we don't have kids and I have a full time job I look at things differently. But I really wish people wouldn't totally discount neurosurgery just because it is neurosurgery.

I'd also like to start a crusade again the thought that all nerosurgeons think they're god. Again, I can think of a couple that have that thought process but more than half of the neurosurgeons DH works with are good doctors, with good bed side manner that are truly concerned about their patients well being and truly chose this profession because they love the impact it can make on peoples' lives.

You'll also notice I changed my weblog title - I don't feel like a widow, haven't in the 27 months that we've been here. Ok, I'll get off of my soap box now.