So my parents have received 14 1/2 inches of rain since Thursday night. This morning my mother went to work without issue but when she got to town there was no power and her grocery store was the only thing open. They were taking customers through the store with a flashlight, writing down the prices, and working the "registers" on a calculator. I'm sure it was a very entertaining day. My dad was sent, with his state boat, to evacuate a town about 10 miles south of where my mom works because the town of around 4,000 was surrounded by water and there was no way in or out.

They had to open the flood gates to the state lake that is about 7 miles northwest of my parents house because it was about 5 feet from going over the top of the dam. I can't imagine seeing that, I've never seen it less then 20 feet from the top of the damn.

So they are both now at home sitting in the dark, they can call out but can't receive calls because the ringer doesn't work on the old corded phone they were able to find and plug in. They don't expect to have power for 3-7 days at their house or in the town mom works in because the sub station is underwater.

What I think is funny about this whole situation is that I wouldn't have even known what was going on if my MIL hadn't called around noon today to ask if I'd spoken to my parents. She had seen a story on their news. So then I some how became the point person for my other two sisters. One worked the day shift and one worked the night shift and since I was the only one that had spoken to mom they called me. All in all it was a long day for both mom and dad, it doesn't sound like anyone in their immediate vacinity has died but it sounds like it will be days before they get back to any sort of normal.

Gotta love mother nature!