7/04/2008

A week or two ago Kevin asked me if I wanted to go to the zoo on July 2. It's family night and they keep the zoo open later. I said sure, partly because I've been bugging him for years to go to the zoo and partly because I had a feeling he might propose, since we never go ANYWHERE except his apartment and Whole Foods' 5 after 5 wine tasting on Friday nights. Plus he talked to our friend Dominique when we were on a double date last while I talked to her fiance (Kevin's old roommate) and he told me she gave him some ideas for proposing. She works at the zoo.

So, I decide to wear a new dress I got at the JCrew outlet. I thought, "I'll dress nicely just in case, plus I keep buying dresses and I only wear them at weddings." EVERYONE I've talked to about going to the zoo has thought he would propose. (so it wasn't just me) G, the woman I work for, was really excited because she thought this would be it. She said, "Let's see what HE'S wearing" as he walked in the door. He usually picks me up in gym shorts and a tshirt but yesterday it was a blue polo, khakis, and Chuck Taylors. Not tshirt bummy. I was still sore out of my mind from boot camp and walking hurt, especially downhill. I didn't want to go but thought I better tough it out JUST IN CASE. On the way there he says, "it closes at 8 but Dominique says it doesn't matter, you can stay til 9." AHA! So she DID have something to do with this.

So we go and I ask what he wants to see. North America and Asia Quest this way, Africa and Australia that way. He definitely wants to see lions (we love lions) but also wants to see koalas and kangaroos. He keeps stressing how he wants to see the lions but we'll do that last. Ok. I think, is something planned for the lions exhibit? Oh, and the whole way there I was acid refluxy and super nervous about the what-if. We're walking deeper into the zoo and I am on his left side. I look down at his pocket through my sunglasses. THE RING BOX IS IN HIS POCKET. I take a deep breath and smile, it's coming, wooo. What does he have planned?

We go straight through to the koalas, then the kangaroos, then loop back around to the rhino/elephants/sun bear/red panda/tigers. He keep saying he wants to see the lions. We go to the lions. Two mombo lions and a dadbo. Then.........

..............we headed back towards the entrance, I peed, we left. :| I thought, "he must really have something up his sleeve! No.....no, wishful thinking. What is going on? Seriously. Ugh ugh ugh." An hour after we got to the zoo, we were back in the car and leaving. We went to Cap City for dinner and had a lovely dinner on the patio. It had been a really pleasant night. And the best way to cap off the evening was to.......................

Go to Target so he could get cat supplies and so I could get a travel pack of wipes and some ibuprofen. Then he drove me home, perfectly pleasant all the way, and dropped me off. See you Saturday. (maybe. I don't know if we'll make it to dinner w/ Kate or not.) All with the ring snug as a bug in a rug in his pocket.