Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The JOYS of parenthood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JOYS of parenthood!

Okay, here is the problem ~ our oldest was asked to try out for a league baseball team. Before we said yes to the tryout we asked about the scheduling of the games we were told it would be during the week but, early enough for 8,9, and 10 year olds. He made the team! YEA ~ right, wrong! The coach brought the schedule by yesterday and you guys would not believe it. The games don't start until 8:15pm and they are 1 hour and 45 minutes long. That means 10:00 that they are over and 10:30 before we can get back to the house. It took us about 30 seconds to decided that he wouldn't be on the team. We are just floored by this. Is this the "way it is" in the year 2000. Our boys have a 8:30 bed time on school nights. Has anyone else ran into this kind of problem? With this being our oldest child it sure has opened our eyes ~ Devera

I think I have read and heard a lot about this lately. From what I have heard a lot of coaches and leagues (both school and public) have been doing outrageous schedules for their young athletes. It seems they feel the kid's top priority should be these teams. I would've made the same decision you did. That is one of the responsibilities of a parent - to regulate their children's schedules and hobbies in the children's and family's best interest (NOT to be in the best interest of some coach). I hope your son wasn't too disappointed. Maybe you could find some alternative for him?

Jennifer

Comment

Devera,

That is so disappointing. Did you talk to the coach and explain the reason for your decision? How ridiculous...by 8.30 pm I am exhausted too....and the idea that in order for your son to play baseball on this team that he must play that late...unbelievable! It sounds like scheduling for the convenience of a few grown-ups and not children....but who are the parents letting their 9 year olds stay up half the night to play baseball? If everyone would protest, they would have to bring the time down.

Kris

Comment

There were 3 kids that pulled off the team because of the game times. That is still not many. We did find out that they joined another league that starts September 15th and the games are all at 6:00. They asked Aaron if he would be the catcher on that team. He was really excited! Things always have a way of working out ~ Devera~

Comment

When my brother and I were kids...he was about 8....he tried out for a really competitive soccer team and was accepted. My mother got a bad feeling about the team though because of its competitive nature and pulled him from it...which he was initially devastated by....but by the end of the season a couple of the kids that stayed on had broken bones and the team was not looked upon as favorably by many. My brother was happy in the less competitive leagues....and there were no broken bones or unfriendly competitive matches...

So they do have a way of working themselves out, you are so right!

Kristen

Comment

Working...
          X