Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Things my kids say ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things my kids say ...

I've been terribly remiss about documenting the little gems that come out of my kids' mouths. I've finally decided that I'll do it here in the way Nellie has been logging her girls growth. I hope no one minds.

10/11/07:

At Target. I'm on the phone and tell the person on the other end that I'm looking for stuff to amuse the boys on our drive today. Quinn over hears and says "I think toys will do the trick!"

In the car. Jacob asked if we could go to China some day. I said maybe. He said "How can we go to China? Will they let us in the wall if we're good?"

Re: Things my kids say ...

In the car today Quinn said:

"When I grow up, you'll give me Vanny (our minivan), and I'll live next door to you. Savannah will agree to my plan."

Later ...

Q: Savannah loves to kiss me all the time.
    M: Where does she kiss you? On the cheek?
    Q: On the lips, too.
    M: Maybe you should say "Savannah - only on the cheek!"
    Q: Mom! That would be RUDE!

Comment

As we're driving by a cemetary ...

Q: There's the dying place.
      M: You don't die if you go there, it's where people are buried after they die.
      Q: Sometimes people light you on fire after you die.
      M: (thinking ... well, yes, and that's how we'll do it but how do you explain this to a 5 year old?) Well, sometimes -- where did you see that??
      Q: Uh, mommmmm ... that's what Luke did to Darth Vader when HE died.

Comment

Quinn's school always puts up a tree on the wall in November, and sends home paper leaves for the kids to write (dictate) what they're thankful for. We did Quinn's this morning. This exchange occurred in the car on the way from school.

Q: Mom - no one saw my leaf!
        M: I gave it to Miss Sherri, she probably hasn't put it up yet.
        Q: Did you put my name on it?
        M: Yes.
        Q: And you put what I said?
        M: Yes.
        Q: So you were my ghost writer!

Comment

And from Jacob:

At basketball evaluations Quinn was bummed b/c he didn't make any baskets.

J: It's okay bro. (he really says bro) As long as I'm a winner, we're all winners.

Comment

Quinn tends to chatter all through dinner, therby ending up being the last one to finish. That wouldn't be so bad, except that he's usually trying to get out of eating, too. DH is far less patient with his chatter than I am (I think it's cute - for the most part). As we're all eating dinner & Quinn is chattering away, he turns to dh and says:

"I know what you're gonna say Dad. 'Less talking, more eating.' "

I guess on it's own it's not a terribly funny statement, but with Quinn's cadence and intonation, it was awesome.

Comment

This afternoon we got a pretzel & a drink at Target. While we were eating, Jacob asked me what grown ups think is fun.

M: I like to read, I like to cook, ...
              Q: And you like to spend time with your sweet, sweet boys??

Tonight in the car on the way home from swimming:

J: Mom! Watch out for the Angry Mob Cars behind us!

After I got off the phone with our neighbor who went to the ER last night:

J: Mom - is Big Tim sick?
              M: Yeah buddy, but he'll be okay.
              J: Is there anything we can do? (Be still my proud mama heart!)

As we're taking the cards the boys made to Big Tim:

Q: He'll think we're the friendliest!

And then while Quinn was eating his dinner and Lucy was begging:

Q: Get back, you foul beast!

I sure do love these dudes.

Comment

Quinn's first "heat" at his first ever swim meet:

still working on uploading Jacob's will post here if I ever get it to work!

Comment

DH: Quinn! Don't yell in my ear!
                  Q: I didn't yell, I howled.

Comment

Q: Dad - would you like to be an astronaut?
                    DH: Maybe someday it would be neat to go into space. Maybe I'll get to do that in my lifetime.
                    Q: After all, you ARE very smart.

Comment

As told to me by Savannah's mom, told to her by Savannah.

S: Quinn asked me if I was tired today.
                      S's Mom: Why? Were you being cranky with him?
                      S: No. He just said he looked into my eyes and they looked sleepy.

And then in the van on the way home from errands ...

J: How many grades are there in school?
                      M: There are 12 grades, then 4 years of college, and then 2, 4 or more years of graduate school if you want to do that.
                      J: Do I have to do that?
                      M: No. You have to do the 12 grades of school and 4 years of college. At that point you'll be 22 and you can decide if you want to go to graduate school.
                      J: I want you to decide.
                      Q: I want to decide!
                      M: Okay. You have to do it. What do you want to be when you grow up?
                      Q: I want to go too! I want to go to lots of graduATE school!
                      J: An astronaut.
                      M: Okay - then you will have to do it, and you'll have to study lots of math.
                      J: Okay - I like math. I know that 80 + 80 is.
                      M: What is it?
                      J: 160
                      M: Okay - you can do it!

Comment

This evening after the boys splashed water all over the bathroom during their bath ...

Q: So - do you think Santa will get us Heroscape for Christmas, Mommy?
                        M: With the way you've been behaving, I dont' know if you'll get ANYTHING for Christmas.
                        J: She's got a point, bro.

Comment

Sunday was FIL's birthday. I mentioned this to the boys, and they asked to call him.

M: Dada is in India right now, we can't call him.
                          J: Don't you have a phonebook??

Then last night in the car (my apologies to those who feel this is blasphemous, this is how we handle religion).

J: Mom! Do you know that there is a girl in my class who doesn't believe in SANTA?
                          M: Well, different families have different traditions. Remember I told you that they don't celebrate Christmas in India? So the kids there wouldn't no about or believe in Santa. And there are kids here that don't celebrate Christmas either. It's kind of like when we talked about God. You asked me if God was real, and I said you get to make that decision yourself, but you need to respect what other people believe.
                          J: Do you think God is real?
                          Q: God IS real! We talked about him in school! (He goes to a Methodist preschool). He loves us all.
                          J: Mom - do YOU think God is real?
                          M: I do believe in a God. I don't believe in God the way a lot of people do where that means church, and following certian rules. I just believe God wants us all to treat each other well.
                          J: I'm with you, Mom!

(Mind you, about 2 months ago he told me that God is fake, but then 2 days later told me that mermaids and giants are real.)

Comment

Quinn came running up from the basement last night

Q: Mommy, Mommy! I know what you want for your birthday! Jacob and I want to get it for you!
                            M: What's that, buddy?
                            Q: It's the Pancake Puffer! You'll never have to eat boring pizza again!
                            M: Laughing ...
                            Q: Are you laughing at me?
                            M: No - I'm just thinking about how much I love you.
                            Q: C'mon Mom! Let's go to pancakepuff.com!
                            M: Full blown laughter ... walks over to computer ... types in http://www.pancakepuff.com
                            Q: See? Isn't it beautiful? It's just what you want! Can we get it?
                            M: Thanks for thinking of me sweetie, but I don't think we need that.

Comment

Today as Morgan Freeman came on The View:

Q: Is that God? That looks like God.

Comment

Working...
                              X