Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Frugal tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frugal tips

I dont' really have any tips, but I need some! We are trying to tighten our belts and I think I finally have my husband on board. Anyone want to share their tips for being frugal? Especially with the holidays coming up.
    Well I have a few tips--
    Don't eat out (We are terrible about this)
    Don't go into Costco without a list and don't get sucked into buying all those things you don't need.
    That's it ladies--I need all the help I can get!
    Awake is the new sleep!

saving money

Sue,

Don't go to the grocery store with anything BUT cash! (and a calculator).

We give out two to three times the money if we bring our ATM card or credit card.....it is just too easy. I make a list and then get cash......it works every time...and I find that I really have to think about what I'm going to get in advance.....

Also..I say limit your eating out...don't cut it out all together...because there is something to be said for feeling like you have a certain...quality of life....You could make the first Friday of the month your night to go to TGIF or something....or shoot for Taco Bell 8) My husband thinks Taco Bell is awesome because it is "the only place that you can go and get dinner for $4 and leave feeling full" They make nice salads too.

Also, I would add to...look at what you have in a new light...I've taken this stragegy on thanks to 'Trading Spaces'...but I'm kind of into using what we have...and maybe just spicing it up a bit. For example, we needed curtains for our bedroom...and I just dug throught our boxes in the basement until I found an old pair...I washed and ironed them..and they look fine...they might not be the fashion statement of the year l: but they work!

I also love shopping at second hand shops for great furniture,clothes or kitchen buys....

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

As for using what you already have, it is amazing what you can do with a can of paint or a box of Rit Dye. My daughter had a beautiful comforter set, nice quality from Bloomingdales that I did pay a decent amount of $$$$ for. She wanted a change, and she was looking at blues. The beige set is now Navy blue and looks brand new, add a few throw pillows and it looks custom made.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I read somewhere that it's cheaper to run large appliances such as your washer & dryer either early in the day or later in the evening - avoiding hours between 4-8 pm. That's when everybody's home cooking dinner, watching TV and what not.

Also, don't run the "dry" cycle on your dishwasher. After you hear it stop washing & rinsing, just turn it off and open it up. The hot water evaporates and you don't have to spend the money for the dishwasher to heat up.

Comment

1. Get a library card and use it. You can read magazines there instead of paying for them, browse through cookbooks, read parenting books, the latest fiction, etc..... videos for the kids, too!

2. Buy food as close to its natural state as possible -- convenience = more $, which sometimes is fine, but know that and only buy those foods when you need to.

3. Try to get everyone in your family to drink more water and less juice/pop -- buy a filter for your faucet if your water tastes bad, or just keep a pitcher of water in the fridge.

4. Buy as many store brand things as you can -- usually there is no difference, but if there is, buy the next cheapest brand on up, until you get something you can live with.

5. Buy as much stuff as you can at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc., like kids' clothes, underwear (for everybody), hose, whatever -- limit buying nicer clothes (for the kids) except for special occasions, or ask for clothes for birthdays, etc.

6. Check out consignment shops, find a good one, and go by every week or so to see what they've got. Keep a list of stuff your kids are needing.

7. Whenever you cook a casserole or something that will freeze well, double the recipe and make two and freeze one of them -- it will save your butt (and money, too!) when you don't feel like cooking some night.

8. Don't assume that everything in the warehouse clubs is cheaper -- do the math.

9. Try to go to matinees to save money -- movie and dinner, instead of the other way around.

These are the ones that have been helping me lately.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Late chiming in...but this has been on my mind lately:

1) It has been said a thousand times before, but it is so true. Pay yourself first. Automatically deduct from your paycheck each month into a savings account, even if it is just $10. Besides the obvious benefit, it will put you into the right mindset about money.

2) Get into a magazine cooperative. I share magazines with coworkers which has saved me the expense of not having to renew some of my favorites. Kris talked about quality of life issues and for me, magazines are one of those things.

3) Keep a running list of gift ideas for people throughout the year. This way you can spot bargains in the off season. Also, if someone asks what to buy you or a family member you can just read off the list of things that you need.

4) Write down where every cent goes...it makes you a lot more responsible.

5) Babysitting cooperatives and playdates!

6) Check out the free museum days for free entertainment. Almost all of the major museums offer one free day a month here.

7) After you pay off a major bill or have a sudden increase in income, automatically transfer half of that money into savings or debt reduction before you get used to living with more disposible income.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Here are some of mine:

When it's time to replace appliances, buy the more energy efficient one you can find. It may cost more at the outset but will save you more in the long run. (Not to mention the environment!)

Have your shoes resoled. I have a pair of boots that I love that I've resoled a few times over the years. Also, if you wear Birkenstocks, they will replace the footbed and recondition the shoes forever. Coach does the same thing for their bags, too. My friend sent in her briefcase and it came back looking better than new! (I think Dooney and Burke do that as well) yes, these are expensive brands, but if you can have a briefcase or a purse last you fifteen years? It's worth it!

Keep your vehicles tuned up. That 25 dollar oil change can make the difference between your car running or not. Also, make sure you have windshield wiper fluid and all of the safety stuff, too.

Have you heater/air conditioner checked once a year. Also, make sure your water heater is working properly and clean the gunk from under your refrigerator, too.

Buy GOOD BRAS- ones that fit and then take care of them. If you're losing weight, buy some interim bras.

Cook enough for leftovers. My husband takes his lunch every day except Fridays. I try to plan to have enough for him to take a full meal and for me to take something.

Turn the heat down at night and while you are out during the day.

Hmmmm- I'll think of more, these are just some of my posted house rules at the group homes. (Except the bras and the shoes- those are mine!)

Jenn

Comment

Working...
              X