Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

good idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good idea

Sean, Cade, and I all take an early childhood family education class together each week. We have been doing so ever since we moved to Minnesota and we thoroughly enjoy it. The kids learn basic concepts like clapping, circle time etc while the parents talk about everything from tooth brushing to discipline. This class has introduced us to other parents of toddlers in the area as well.

Some of the parents in this class have formed a "babysitting coop" and it is working out really well. We have kept the group very small to include only families of toddlers. We feel comfortable with these parents and Cade loves going to play with his friend. Sean and I got to eat a meal at a nice restaurant without having to pay for a teenage babysitter. It was great! So far, this has been a great solution for us. I have heard of people forming coops by hanging flyers at the local store too. Of course, they started out with a play group to ensure that everyone has compatible parenting styles. This is a life saver for this medical spouses with a child who has little support in the area. Try it!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

It sounds so great!!! I did something sort of similar with a neighbor when we lived in PA and it was such a life-saver...no paying for babysitters, etc.

I wonder how one could go about starting a co-op?

Congrats!

Kris

Comment

Thanks! My girlfriend was force to move unexpectedly to Columbus, Indiana with her young son and created a similar support system. She started out by inviting a few other moms and their kids over for dinner. Eventually, this became a monthly moms support group which rotates from house to house. Sometimes the dads watch the kids while the moms get out on their own. These friends also swap kids now too. She said that this group has helped her to transition into motherhood and her new hometown. Maybe this could work in your neighborhoods too.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly, what a great idea...I just read this post...I would love to find a way to do this....it is hard having three kids because if someone else had to watch them for a few hours with their own children, they'd probably go mad But maybe another mom with three kids wouldn't mind it.....

Kris

Comment

When my children were very young and I was in school, I used to share cooking with a friend. When I cooked I always cooked enough for both families (similar in size and appetite) and she would do the same. We tried to do this at least once or twice a week, it was a great timesaver, and always gave me a couple of nights a week to not have to worry about dinner.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
          X