Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Potty training madness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty training madness!

Alex is soon to turn 3. He was doing well with the potty-training before we moved, but completely regressed once we arrived here. I let it slide because of the transition, but have been trying again....and he is completely potty-ready....he hates diapers now and only wants to wear big-boy pants...but absolutely refuses to do his business in the toilet...

Any advice?

Kris

I absolutely HATE potty training!!! It is the most frustrating thing to me. Now that I have three down and only one to go, I did learn from some of my mistakes.

My first thought when you described your situation with Alex was to put him in big boy pants and then constantly take him to the bathroom, every hour or so. As long as he can keep his underwear dry, then he can wear them. When he has an accident put him in pullups or a diaper for a little while. Is that harsh? I don't want to suggest anything that would bring back traumatic memories for him but.... I did that with Tyler and that worked for him because he LOVED his new Toy Story underwear and didn't want to get them dirty. Just a small thought.

Believe me, I don't look forward to potty training again. I am not even going to think about it until after the match when I know if we will be moving or not. It is amazing how much children regress in potty training when you move. GOOD LUCK KRIS!

Robin

Comment

Ugh, Robin...it is just so gross!!!!! I think you are right about taking him to the toilet every hour...with my oldest it was easy, because I was so focused on it...and Finny potty-trained at the same time. She was a year younger than him, but he was 2 1/2 at the time. With Alex, I keep forgetting myself...but when I talk to him about he will tell me that it doesn't go in the potty....we had this whole thing with Andrew about the "poopy play area" so that he really could embrace the whole potty thing...and it worked. We did a poopy dance, etc...

Alex screams "be quiet" if we try a poopy dance and screams "no play area" to the other suggestion...if I notice that he has gone in his "big boy pants" he says...nope, it's gone...I didn't do it!" hahaha...

Well, I am going to do it exactly the way you said, Robin...so if it doesn't work...I can blame you I'll keep you posted...I just really, really want him trained. Our local gym has a parent's night out on Fridays...Thomas and I could go out for 5 hours for $20 and the kids would play at the gym...if only he could be potty-trained......

Kris

Comment

BRIBERY always works for us - put a jar of candy, stickers, small toys, or whatever on the back of the toilet and promise your child one item for every "job" they make IN THE TOILET. It works!

Jennifer

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm.....I must admit, Jennifer...I'm intrigued by the bribery one!!! Is that terrible or what? I'm going to run and get a bag of his favorite candy .... between the advice by you and Robin, I will get this child trained ASAP so that Thomas and I can have a night out!

Thanks!

Kris

Comment

OK....he found where I hid the stash of potty lollipops! I went into the kitchen and there was a stool pushed against the counter and they were gone...I found them hidden in the living room...

waaaaah

Kris

Comment

Oh the trials .... I had to laugh about the lollipops. That's a stunt my kids would pull! I have to agree with Jennifer. Bribery can do wonders with potty training, depending on the child. There's a book out called "Potty training in a day" or something like that. That's what they suggested. Every time they go, they would get a treat. The only problem I had with that was that my one son was in the bathroom all day going a little bit to get a candy BUT... he still pooped in his pants! Ugh! Eventually they get it though. I just had to lower my expectations!

Do you have a high shelf in your bathroom? I would put the candy on that where they could see it from sitting on the toilet but they can't reach it. How's that for giving them visual incentive?!

Robin

Comment

These stories make me cringe about what lies ahead for me! I'm waiting for you guys to figure this all out so that you can teach me!
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                X