Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Spaghetti Sauce and Children Need to Simmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaghetti Sauce and Children Need to Simmer

The first graders brought this home with them and I thought it was such a neat article...I hope you all like it too...

by Ada Alden, M.A., CFLE
    Eden Prairie Family Center

My mother cooked spaghetti sauce all day on the back of the stove. Ingredients were always fresh and added at the proper time. My mother understood slow simmer until done.

My mother was not a Ragu-type problem solver. "Some things take time," she assured me. some things are not "flash in the pan" do it "auick and easy" deals. conscientious parenting requires simmer practices.

We seem to be living in a let's-hurry-and-microwave-our-way-through-life track. We are hurrying our children and their growth process. We dress them up like adults too soon. We want them to earn money too soon. We want them to be involved in organized sports too soon. We want to teach reading and math too soon.

Children are not really much diffrent developmentally from those who slogged through the mud with their parents on covered wagons heading wets. The times are expressway driven, but our children still ache for a sandbox way of life.

We know good stuff about children. We know two year olds cannot share. They wiell share only after they know they possess. Three years olds are just learning about words in sentences. Three year olds will only learn how to talk if included in conversations. Too many young children are learning how to fight from Ninjas, not how to talk from caregivers.

We know four year olds can't always tell the truth. Four year olds by definition are fanciful, fantasy-loving make believers. Six year olds show extremes in behavior. They laugh and cry easily, loving one minute and being hostile in the next. Elementary school children need to learn not only how to talk, but when and what is appropriate to say.

Adolescents first must be self-centered before they can be other-centered. Other-centeredness comes only after adolescents have figured out who they are and what they are.

Too many adults are hurrying the process. They want to adultify their children so their behavior might be better understood. It is easier to understand people when they are just like us. Children aren't just like us. Children are still in process. I wish more adults would recognize that children need time to simmer. Children should be respected and accepted.

Marva Collins, the pioneering Chicago educator said, "We want brilliant children, but we don't want to spend time creating them." My mother knew about time. Kids and good sauce need to simmer.

Great article Kris!

I know that I have been trying to simplify my children's lives because of how crazy it has become but it is sure easy to get caught up in the cycle of being on the go all the time and wanting them to experience everything instead of letting them do things more gradually.

For example, Jacob is involved in band, cub scouts, and soccer. Not to mention keeping up with school and being involved with our church. I didn't want him to be this busy but he was the one who wanted to add band to the mix. I am watching to see how it goes and see if it is too much. He doesn't want to give anything up. That is just one of my kids.

My other two boys are also on soccer teams. I can only imagine what life will be like when all four of them are on the go.

It is always good to be reminded to let kids do things in their own time and not push them. I am constantly checking myself on that.

Thanks again for a great article.

Robin

Comment

Working...
    X