Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Secret Indulgence books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Indulgence books.

O.K. I admit it, I read an occasional trashy novel. I especially recommend Johanna Lindsey, Katherine Woodwiss, and Anais Nin for this cheesy genre.

As long as I'm fessing up, when I'm not reading Tolstoy, Kafka, and Keats (ha!), I've been known to pick up Oprah, Rosie, and Good Housekeeping magazines. O.K., alright already, People and the National Enquirer magazines may get read before Time and the New Yorker in my household.

But my true hidden secret is my interest in the Martha Stewart magazine. I once tried her playroom decorating idea wherein I bought the materials to make Chinese Lanterns to hang from the ceiling. Let's just say that it looked like colored toilet paper hanging from the ceiling. My hubby thought that it was hysterical. This trauma scared me so I'm unwilling to embrace my inner Martha for awhile.

So come clean and stand proud, what REALLY lays on your night stand?

Kelly

In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

It depends on my mood. I usually have several books going at the same time, a Romance, a Medical Thriller, and maybe a Science Fiction. I love my Southern Living Subscription!!!!

Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Right now:

Food and Wine Magazine from December and January

The Greatest Generation

Introduction to Ethical Humanism

Islam, An Introduction

No Names (A book about how we've sold our souls to marketers)

House Beautiful

Better Homes and Gardens

Pretty boring right now- I usually also have a murder mystery going but no right now!

Jenn

Comment

* People Magazine is my weakness

* I'm reading Jan Karon's "At Home in Mitford" which is a nice glimpse of small town life in the mountains - it's sort of "soapy" but refreshingly "clean"

* "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks - goooosh, he is just so good at romance novels. I cry every single time.

* Southern Living

* Some sort of decorating mag is usually around somewhere

Comment

Ohhh. You guys have some great stuff. I loved Nicholas Spark's "The Notebook".

Jenn, I'd love to see your book on Islam. If comparative religion is a hot button, I highly recommend anything by Joseph Campell. He explores the interrelation and history of monotheistic religions. I've wanted to get his video series with Bill Moyers for over a year but the library doesn't have it and it costs $80 on Amazon.com!

I just finished Susan Miller's "Planets and Possibilities" which details the personality archtypes associated with the signs of the zodiac. Very good stuff if you're into the metaphysical, astrology, or personality archetypes.

Does anyone read any true crime stuff? I'm thinking about exploring this genre a little further. I've received a good recommendation from a book worm girlfriend, so I'll check it out.

We really should start a book swap! This is an expensive hobby.

Kelly

Comment

OK, this book DEFINITELY belongs on this list; however, i LOVE it. The first one was called "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella and I just stumbled upon the next one "Shopaholic takes New York" yesterday. If you love to shop and you don't really have the $$ to do so, you will laugh, laugh, laugh with her character. So it's definitely not "quality" reading per se but I laughed throughout the entire first book and I cannot wait to open the second. Kinsella is a Brit so it definitely has the Bridget Jones feel to it.

p.s. this is a little tidbit from the book that i found hilarious. she writes a letter to her creditor requesting an increase in her overdraft limit in order to take advantage of the summer sale at one particular store b/c it will equal major savings in the long run b/c she will be able to buy everything she needs....yeah, right! ha ha ha.

Comment

This DOES sound like a good read. By the way, I just bought Bridget's, I mean Helen Fielding's, sequel "The Edge of Reason". I let you know how it goes.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
              X