Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Claudia, how's your thesis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kris: good luck on the rest of your semester!!! my thoughts are with you!!! you can do it because some how we will all do it! get some rest, too -- !! sooo sorry about your accident! take care!

AMY! wow - how cool that you are from memphis! actually, my fiance is already there...he started in june of 99. and i stayed here to start and finish school. and i'll be moving there this summer. so it's an exciting and scary time! i've actually grown to like some of memphis - i'll admit i wasn't thrilled with it at first. in fact, that was the last place i wanted him to rank. but c'est la vie. i'm from a small yet large university town that is really quaint and student-ish so i will miss that. i do love the memphis zoo!! that is one of my favorite things to do there! and we went to a festival at the children's museum in the summer - that was great. beale street is fun - i love the peabody. we went to a dinner there in june that was sooo gorgeous. and i've seen a lot of the hospitals
    ha - i think i know where the outlet is - are you talking about the one off of poplar? it's kinda near the mall and a target? it's a two store deal with williams-sonoma and pottery barn? i LOVE that place. i'm a shopping nut and that is usually what i do when i go out there to visit because that is all that i know so far! you give me hope with your $150 bed - FANTASTIC deal! we just had a conversation last night about how much $$$ would go to house redecoration and i had these grandiose plans and he was like one thing at a time...but who can resist a bed that is under $200 from pottery barn?!?!

janet: when do you think i should start approaching potential jobs? b/c most of the jobs i am going to be interested in are not the kinds of places that post ads. like i would be really happy working at the PBS affiliate there, or possibly a network station depending on the hours, or a kids theatre group, or .... i don't know if the university would let a lowly MA grad teach any courses or not.
    aeghghghahhreeh!

all right, y'all! going back to study!! take care & study hard & have fun tonight!!!!

Comment

Kris: good luck on the rest of your semester!!! my thoughts are with you!!! you can do it because some how we will all do it! get some rest, too -- !! sooo sorry about your accident! take care!

AMY! wow - how cool that you are from memphis! actually, my fiance is already there...he started in june of 99. and i stayed here to start and finish school. and i'll be moving there this summer. so it's an exciting and scary time! i've actually grown to like some of memphis - i'll admit i wasn't thrilled with it at first. in fact, that was the last place i wanted him to rank. but c'est la vie. i'm from a small yet large university town that is really quaint and student-ish so i will miss that. i do love the memphis zoo!! that is one of my favorite things to do there! and we went to a festival at the children's museum in the summer - that was great. beale street is fun - i love the peabody. we went to a dinner there in june that was sooo gorgeous. and i've seen a lot of the hospitals
      ha - i think i know where the outlet is - are you talking about the one off of poplar? it's kinda near the mall and a target? it's a two store deal with williams-sonoma and pottery barn? i LOVE that place. i'm a shopping nut and that is usually what i do when i go out there to visit because that is all that i know so far! you give me hope with your $150 bed - FANTASTIC deal! we just had a conversation last night about how much $$$ would go to house redecoration and i had these grandiose plans and he was like one thing at a time...but who can resist a bed that is under $200 from pottery barn?!?!

janet: when do you think i should start approaching potential jobs? b/c most of the jobs i am going to be interested in are not the kinds of places that post ads. like i would be really happy working at the PBS affiliate there, or possibly a network station depending on the hours, or a kids theatre group, or .... i don't know if the university would let a lowly MA grad teach any courses or not.
      aeghghghahhreeh!

all right, y'all! going back to study!! take care & study hard & have fun tonight!!!!

Comment

aeghghghahhreeh!

Comment

OK, here's an area where I have some experience. I've looked for many a job, and I've been a hiring manager/interviewer. I have always had to go after jobs that were not posted, and while I didn't always get my first choice job, I have always managed to get jobs that were unpublished. So, here's my approach. Start by realizing that only 15% of the jobs out there are listed or posted or published as an ad, and that 90% of the people looking for jobs apply only to published openings. Mind you, that doesn't apply to all professional sectors, but it was a statistic they threw at us in university career centers (you get the main idea, right?). Even my shy medical spouse only looked for published openings in his specialty! He didn't have the composure to make cold calls.

So, start by "networking", on the phone if you can. Make contacts. Tell people what you can offer them and that you are moving to their area and you are looking for "interesting and challenging opportunities". Even if they are not looking for someone, start talking about their workplace and what types of positions are applicable to you. Tell them you are looking longterm (even if you are not), and that you are interested in their organization. Make them want you even if they have no opening. That way, when they do, they'll think of you. Esecially if you phone every few months and chat about anything that "might have come up".

Another reality is that people who are employed (or otherwise busy in school) are more desireable than someone who has been hitting the pavement job hunting for weeks or months. So start now. If you are within six months or so of graduating, it's perfect timing. If they like you, they will wait!

Go for it! Hope this pep talk helps...

Comment

OK, here's an area where I have some experience. I've looked for many a job, and I've been a hiring manager/interviewer. I have always had to go after jobs that were not posted, and while I didn't always get my first choice job, I have always managed to get jobs that were unpublished. So, here's my approach. Start by realizing that only 15% of the jobs out there are listed or posted or published as an ad, and that 90% of the people looking for jobs apply only to published openings. Mind you, that doesn't apply to all professional sectors, but it was a statistic they threw at us in university career centers (you get the main idea, right?). Even my shy medical spouse only looked for published openings in his specialty! He didn't have the composure to make cold calls.

So, start by "networking", on the phone if you can. Make contacts. Tell people what you can offer them and that you are moving to their area and you are looking for "interesting and challenging opportunities". Even if they are not looking for someone, start talking about their workplace and what types of positions are applicable to you. Tell them you are looking longterm (even if you are not), and that you are interested in their organization. Make them want you even if they have no opening. That way, when they do, they'll think of you. Esecially if you phone every few months and chat about anything that "might have come up".

Another reality is that people who are employed (or otherwise busy in school) are more desireable than someone who has been hitting the pavement job hunting for weeks or months. So start now. If you are within six months or so of graduating, it's perfect timing. If they like you, they will wait!

Comment

Comment

Claudia,

Did you get everything done? I got my papers turned in but my final sort of went down the toilet :\ . I just couldn't motivate myself to really buckle down....but at least I have it behind me...on to christmas.....

I am crossing my fingers for you that you get everything done...

Kris

Comment

Claudia,

Did you get everything done? I got my papers turned in but my final sort of went down the toilet :\ . I just couldn't motivate myself to really buckle down....but at least I have it behind me...on to christmas.....

Kris

Comment

Claudia,

Kris

Comment

Working...
                    X