Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

For all who live up north...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all who live up north...

How is the weather in your area? I've heard so much about all of the snowstorms and cold weather. What area do you live in and what's the weather like there? Is anyone snowed in?

How is the weather in your area? I've heard so much about all of the snowstorms and cold weather. What area do you live in and what's the weather like there? Is anyone snowed in?

Comment

Comment

I live in Canada, in the province of Alberta (about a two hour drive straight west to the Rocky Mountains). Last week it was -35 up here. That's celcius, but when it's that cold, it's about the same as farenheit. So, it was cold. But almost NO SNOW! My mom lives near Toronto in Ontario, and she's got piles of snow but it's not so cold...

Even though it's cold up here, the sky is blue and the sun is out almost everyday.

Comment

I live in Canada, in the province of Alberta (about a two hour drive straight west to the Rocky Mountains). Last week it was -35 up here. That's celcius, but when it's that cold, it's about the same as farenheit. So, it was cold. But almost NO SNOW! My mom lives near Toronto in Ontario, and she's got piles of snow but it's not so cold...

Even though it's cold up here, the sky is blue and the sun is out almost everyday.

Comment

Comment

It's in the 30's (that's +30's) here and I can hardly stand it! If it was -35, I think I would move! How do you guys stay warm? How do you even get the car started?

I've lived in the south all of my life and was shocked not long ago to hear that northerners have to use home heating fuel (they were talking about the fuel prices on TV).

I just hate cold weather!

Comment

It's in the 30's (that's +30's) here and I can hardly stand it! If it was -35, I think I would move! How do you guys stay warm? How do you even get the car started?

I've lived in the south all of my life and was shocked not long ago to hear that northerners have to use home heating fuel (they were talking about the fuel prices on TV).

Comment

Comment

I have always lived in areas where there was snow in the winter. But our summers are pretty much the same as in much of the US. By about April it gets nice and everything melts, and it is hot and sunny until fall.

But back to your specific questions, which are good ones. When it gets too cold, say around -10 C (about +5 Farenheit), we plug our cars in. Most cars in the North come with what is called a "block heater", which is basically a heater that heats the engine block so the oil is warm enough to start the car. It makes it easier on the car too, so it's actually good for your engine to start it slightly warmed. Anyway, you plug the car in for about 3 hours before starting it. Most people leave them plugged in all night.

The gas prices for heating (our house stays nice and toasty warm with two gas furnaces on a forced air system) run about $130/month for a 2400 sq/ft house. So, that's just a fact of life here. I don't like going out when it's really cold. In fact, when it was that cold, I didn't take the children out, not even to the car. Normally it's about -5 to -10, or above zero in Ferenheit. When it gets too cold, you feel like your skin is shrinking...

Janet

Comment

I have always lived in areas where there was snow in the winter. But our summers are pretty much the same as in much of the US. By about April it gets nice and everything melts, and it is hot and sunny until fall.

But back to your specific questions, which are good ones. When it gets too cold, say around -10 C (about +5 Farenheit), we plug our cars in. Most cars in the North come with what is called a "block heater", which is basically a heater that heats the engine block so the oil is warm enough to start the car. It makes it easier on the car too, so it's actually good for your engine to start it slightly warmed. Anyway, you plug the car in for about 3 hours before starting it. Most people leave them plugged in all night.

The gas prices for heating (our house stays nice and toasty warm with two gas furnaces on a forced air system) run about $130/month for a 2400 sq/ft house. So, that's just a fact of life here. I don't like going out when it's really cold. In fact, when it was that cold, I didn't take the children out, not even to the car. Normally it's about -5 to -10, or above zero in Ferenheit. When it gets too cold, you feel like your skin is shrinking...

Janet

Comment

Janet

Comment

that I have NEVER been in temperatures that cold, much less lived in them!

We hardly keep up with the antifreeze in our radiators down here!

Some people down here still don't want to give up their shorts, though. Every once in a while I see a nut with shorts or sandals on! Pretty funny.

Comment

Some people down here still don't want to give up their shorts, though. Every once in a while I see a nut with shorts or sandals on! Pretty funny.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X