Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

DEPRESSION ANYONE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't we try and chat then Wednesday night at about 10pm est/9pm cst?

I have noticed the same thing about reading that physicians should marry a "strong" spouse...but what does that really mean? I think that physicians-in-training (or out for that matter) do need someone to support them emotionally...and take care of things...but I disagree with the notion that a physician's wife is supposed to be superwoman or something...and honestly, Adrienne, I haven't yet met the superwife...I have met some who think that they are....

You aren't alone in your dealings with depression...the mere stress of the medical marriage is so overwhelming that many medical wives suffer from it...and it isn't a sign of being weak...it is about being human...about having limits on what one person can deal with for an extended period of time!!

Don't be down on yourself...you aren't alone!...and I venture to guess that you probably are a pretty strong person.

Kris

Comment

I have noticed the same thing about reading that physicians should marry a "strong" spouse...but what does that really mean? I think that physicians-in-training (or out for that matter) do need someone to support them emotionally...and take care of things...but I disagree with the notion that a physician's wife is supposed to be superwoman or something...and honestly, Adrienne, I haven't yet met the superwife...I have met some who think that they are....

You aren't alone in your dealings with depression...the mere stress of the medical marriage is so overwhelming that many medical wives suffer from it...and it isn't a sign of being weak...it is about being human...about having limits on what one person can deal with for an extended period of time!!

Don't be down on yourself...you aren't alone!...and I venture to guess that you probably are a pretty strong person.

Kris

Comment

Kris

Comment

I'll plan on being there Wednesday night and look forward to chatting with others. This topic is a challenge I face almost every day. Hope others can make it too.

Take care.

Jennifer
          Needs

Comment

I'll plan on being there Wednesday night and look forward to chatting with others. This topic is a challenge I face almost every day. Hope others can make it too.

Take care.

Jennifer
            Needs

Comment

Take care.

Jennifer
              Needs

Comment

hey everyone!

i've been reading the posts while trying to study and keep up with everything!

adrienne, honey, i think you are **so** much stronger than you think. you are obviously strong for taking the step to admit that you are feeling depressed, for reading literature about the situation, and for even exploring the issue instead of tossing it in the back.

this is just my personal opinion - but i think MD wives are strong people for the most part. or 'should be' to have the "smoother" course. think about what you are dealing with - a husband who is rarely home and is not always THERE when he is home, career/homemaker/kids balance, etcetera.

yes, there are many single moms out there and they are incredible but they don't have to deal with the stress of knowing that there is someone who loves you so much and wants to be there with you but *can't* because of their job. that is stress. having no MD husband is probably much easier than having one. so yes, i think you have to be a tough cookie.

i have never claimed to be the woman of steel. in fact, i have so many emotional bursts of tears, excitement, frustration, and everything else that i used to think i was the epitome of weak woman. and then i realized that on the outside, i am 'weak' - but in the core, i am strong and can deal with much, much, much more than i usually give myself credit for. so i don't think there is anything wrong with crying for one hour because he isn't home and you can't take it anymore. that has nothing to do with being strong or weak.

just my .02 -- back to studying

Comment

hey everyone!

adrienne, honey, i think you are **so** much stronger than you think. you are obviously strong for taking the step to admit that you are feeling depressed, for reading literature about the situation, and for even exploring the issue instead of tossing it in the back.

this is just my personal opinion - but i think MD wives are strong people for the most part. or 'should be' to have the "smoother" course. think about what you are dealing with - a husband who is rarely home and is not always THERE when he is home, career/homemaker/kids balance, etcetera.

yes, there are many single moms out there and they are incredible but they don't have to deal with the stress of knowing that there is someone who loves you so much and wants to be there with you but *can't* because of their job. that is stress. having no MD husband is probably much easier than having one. so yes, i think you have to be a tough cookie.

i have never claimed to be the woman of steel. in fact, i have so many emotional bursts of tears, excitement, frustration, and everything else that i used to think i was the epitome of weak woman. and then i realized that on the outside, i am 'weak' - but in the core, i am strong and can deal with much, much, much more than i usually give myself credit for. so i don't think there is anything wrong with crying for one hour because he isn't home and you can't take it anymore. that has nothing to do with being strong or weak.

Comment

hey everyone!

Comment

Adrienne, I agree with Claudia here. Just because we "emote" our feelings does not mean we cannot take a lot when the going gets rough. For example, I am famous for my emotional outbursts (which my cool-headed husband says are sometimes "inappropriate"--whatever that means when it comes to feelings). But when things are rough, like when my husband failed his board exams when our twins were 5 months old, I was a constant and consistent pillar of strength for him then and during the whole next year leading up to his next try at the exams (which he passed). So, even though I can cry at Little House on the Prairie or at a sad story someone tells me or at something my husband says, I am essentially strong. Yet I am quite insecure. I can't figure it out. And I get very down sometimes, and perhaps even depressed over longer periods of time.

We are who we are and our partners love us for being who we are. And we love them. That is why we do whatever it takes to make it through medical training and come out on the other end ready to breath the fresh air of completion.

From what I've learned about you (your challenging career, running your household, being a mother, collaborating with your nanny, and being far from family and friends), you are talented, resourceful, strong, and completely devoted to your family. So, give yourself a compliment and tell yourself you're pretty special. Because you are!!!

Janet

Comment

Adrienne, I agree with Claudia here. Just because we "emote" our feelings does not mean we cannot take a lot when the going gets rough. For example, I am famous for my emotional outbursts (which my cool-headed husband says are sometimes "inappropriate"--whatever that means when it comes to feelings). But when things are rough, like when my husband failed his board exams when our twins were 5 months old, I was a constant and consistent pillar of strength for him then and during the whole next year leading up to his next try at the exams (which he passed). So, even though I can cry at Little House on the Prairie or at a sad story someone tells me or at something my husband says, I am essentially strong. Yet I am quite insecure. I can't figure it out. And I get very down sometimes, and perhaps even depressed over longer periods of time.

We are who we are and our partners love us for being who we are. And we love them. That is why we do whatever it takes to make it through medical training and come out on the other end ready to breath the fresh air of completion.

From what I've learned about you (your challenging career, running your household, being a mother, collaborating with your nanny, and being far from family and friends), you are talented, resourceful, strong, and completely devoted to your family. So, give yourself a compliment and tell yourself you're pretty special. Because you are!!!

Janet

Comment

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X