Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

need to vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kris-

To be perfectly honest, I don't know why more people don't choose this option. There are two ways to go about it- Rick went to the military medical school- Uniformed Services University which is on the grounds of Bethesda Naval Medical Center. It has people from all of the Services- Army, Navy and Air Force (Marines are cared for by the Navy) So, Rick was commissioned as a 2 Lt (peon)at the time he started med school but was paid as a 2 Lt. the entire time. So, yes, he earned about 30k for four years of med school. Then we owe nothing except time to Uncle Sam. He owes seven years after residency and fellowship (if he chooses to do one). Plus we get all of the other military perks like the VA loan, a housing allowance, a clothing allowance (for him) and free medical care. The downside which isn't one for us, is the frequent moving that can happen. But the military wants to keep docs in so they do what they can to accomodate families who want to stay in a certain place. I personally want to go as many places as possible! (I can't imagine who stressful the money stuff must be for those of you who have had to deal with all of that- my hat is off to you!)

The second option is students go to a civilian medical school and agree to serve as military physicians in exchange for a certain percentage of their education being paid for. Some of his friends owe 4 years, some three. I'm not sure whether they earn a salary during medical school but I know that if they have any training such as Officer Basic Course, they are paid. I know there are some people here whose spouses have gone that route and I'm sure they can answer better about this option.

So- that's the scoop. As for my job? It's fun and I can't imagine having a job that required me to sit behind a desk all day. I would throw myself in to the wall after a while!

Later-

Jenn

Comment

Kris-

To be perfectly honest, I don't know why more people don't choose this option. There are two ways to go about it- Rick went to the military medical school- Uniformed Services University which is on the grounds of Bethesda Naval Medical Center. It has people from all of the Services- Army, Navy and Air Force (Marines are cared for by the Navy) So, Rick was commissioned as a 2 Lt (peon)at the time he started med school but was paid as a 2 Lt. the entire time. So, yes, he earned about 30k for four years of med school. Then we owe nothing except time to Uncle Sam. He owes seven years after residency and fellowship (if he chooses to do one). Plus we get all of the other military perks like the VA loan, a housing allowance, a clothing allowance (for him) and free medical care. The downside which isn't one for us, is the frequent moving that can happen. But the military wants to keep docs in so they do what they can to accomodate families who want to stay in a certain place. I personally want to go as many places as possible! (I can't imagine who stressful the money stuff must be for those of you who have had to deal with all of that- my hat is off to you!)

The second option is students go to a civilian medical school and agree to serve as military physicians in exchange for a certain percentage of their education being paid for. Some of his friends owe 4 years, some three. I'm not sure whether they earn a salary during medical school but I know that if they have any training such as Officer Basic Course, they are paid. I know there are some people here whose spouses have gone that route and I'm sure they can answer better about this option.

So- that's the scoop. As for my job? It's fun and I can't imagine having a job that required me to sit behind a desk all day. I would throw myself in to the wall after a while!

Later-

Jenn

Comment

Kris-

Later-

Jenn

Comment

Working...
        X