Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What's the scoop on ENT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the scoop on ENT?

My husband is a first-year med student - after a rough first semester for us (academically he is doing great - me, I'm still adjusting to this new lifestyle!), we're settling into second semester. He's keeping an open mind on selecting a specialty, since he knows that when he gets to rotations it'll expose him to so many new things, who knows where he'll end up for residency. He knows right now there's a few he is really not interested in (like Gyn, anesthesiology). And, he is really really into surgery (he did quite a bit in research labs before med school). But we're wary of the surgery lifestyle, especially since we want to start a family soon. Plus with surgery, he'll be in school/training/residency forever (we're already in our late-20s).

Through his anatomy coursework, he is thinking seriously right now about ENT. I don't know much about the pros and cons of this specialty. Can anyone enlighten me? I'm especially curious about: how competitive it is to get an ENT residency, what the lifestyle is like for ENT docs, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Amy

My husband is a first-year med student - after a rough first semester for us (academically he is doing great - me, I'm still adjusting to this new lifestyle!), we're settling into second semester. He's keeping an open mind on selecting a specialty, since he knows that when he gets to rotations it'll expose him to so many new things, who knows where he'll end up for residency. He knows right now there's a few he is really not interested in (like Gyn, anesthesiology). And, he is really really into surgery (he did quite a bit in research labs before med school). But we're wary of the surgery lifestyle, especially since we want to start a family soon. Plus with surgery, he'll be in school/training/residency forever (we're already in our late-20s).

Through his anatomy coursework, he is thinking seriously right now about ENT. I don't know much about the pros and cons of this specialty. Can anyone enlighten me? I'm especially curious about: how competitive it is to get an ENT residency, what the lifestyle is like for ENT docs, etc etc.

Amy

Comment

Amy

Comment

Amy:
        Unfortunately I don't know anything about ENT docs - but I'm sure that one of these ladies will have the scoop!
        Enjoy these next few years - as crazy as it might sound right now, med school is better than residency! My husband loved the fact that he actually had days off and was not expected to know everything and so did not have the huge weight of responsibility that is now on his shoulders during some cases.
        Also, this is just my .02 and kelly will wonder if i've truly lost my senses this month but it's not impossible to have a family and a (somewhat) decent life with a surgery residency. I just noticed that you mentioned he is really, really into surgery! That sounds like my husband and Kelly's husband - they just really, really love it and so there is nothing we can do to dissuade them! Ha ha - yes, I think I have lost it.
        Sounds like you're having a great year with the natural ups and downs that come with it!

Comment

Amy:
          Unfortunately I don't know anything about ENT docs - but I'm sure that one of these ladies will have the scoop!
          Enjoy these next few years - as crazy as it might sound right now, med school is better than residency! My husband loved the fact that he actually had days off and was not expected to know everything and so did not have the huge weight of responsibility that is now on his shoulders during some cases.
          Also, this is just my .02 and kelly will wonder if i've truly lost my senses this month but it's not impossible to have a family and a (somewhat) decent life with a surgery residency. I just noticed that you mentioned he is really, really into surgery! That sounds like my husband and Kelly's husband - they just really, really love it and so there is nothing we can do to dissuade them! Ha ha - yes, I think I have lost it.
          Sounds like you're having a great year with the natural ups and downs that come with it!

Comment

Amy:

Comment

I also know very little about ENT as a specialty. There is a good website FREIDA that can tell you more about diff. specialties and income potentials. Go over to http://www.survivingresidency.com and look on the specialties page that we are still working on ...the whole site is still under construction, but the links are right there for the FREIDA site and a salary site....I just don't have the URL's at the top of my head here....

I second Claudia's comments. Enjoy the rest of Med School....this is all a great adventure...before you know it, you will be embarking on this creature called residency Another adventure chapter in the medical training book!

Let us know what you find out about ENT...we'll add it to the site

Kris
              Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Comment

I also know very little about ENT as a specialty. There is a good website FREIDA that can tell you more about diff. specialties and income potentials. Go over to http://www.survivingresidency.com and look on the specialties page that we are still working on ...the whole site is still under construction, but the links are right there for the FREIDA site and a salary site....I just don't have the URL's at the top of my head here....

I second Claudia's comments. Enjoy the rest of Med School....this is all a great adventure...before you know it, you will be embarking on this creature called residency Another adventure chapter in the medical training book!

Kris

Comment

Kris

Comment

Amy,
                    My husband is Pulmonary/Critical Care and I am a nurse (endo & er). I can tell you that the ENT docs rarely get called in on nights and weekends, similar to Opthamology. Apparently it is one of the more family friendly lifestyles after training. Good luck.
                    Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Amy,
                      My husband is Pulmonary/Critical Care and I am a nurse (endo & er). I can tell you that the ENT docs rarely get called in on nights and weekends, similar to Opthamology. Apparently it is one of the more family friendly lifestyles after training. Good luck.
                      Luanne
                      Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Amy,
                        Luanne
                        Luanne

Comment

Working...
                        X