Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Back-to-School Blues for MOMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-to-School Blues for MOMS?

Does anyone else have them? Towards the middle of the summer, I hit 'the wall' and couldn't wait to get them off to school...but by the end of the summer, we'd adjusted into a nice, fun routine, and I really had a blast. The last 4 weeks of summer absolutely flew by because we were having such fun together...Now....there is just...little Alex. His two favorite playmates have vanished and so he is really clinging on to me...I can barely go to the restroom on my own without him standing at the door whining...where he had once been so headstrong and independent. He wants me to follow him everywhere and do everything with him and he misses them so much...and so do I...I feel like I've fallen into a bit of a slump now that they are gone all day....

Am I alone?

Kris

Well, I've never actually experienced my kids leaving for school, but I think if they did I'd feel much like you. I also think any children at home would act the way your youngest is behaving. Sounds to me like the expected reaction to that situation.

Jennifer

Comment

Kris,

I can relate about the little one feeling alone and at loose ends for playmates. I experienced that with Joel last year -- he was three and when Luke went back to school, he was really sad and would wait for him in the driveway, starting at about 10 in the morning if I didn't watch him. I was so pregnant at that point that I wasn't much fun. His preschool didn't start for a couple of weeks, so those were hard days.

This year, he is in preschool three days a week and is very excited about it. He also is a little more adept at making his own fun (now that he is four) and I think he relishes not having Luke around to interfere.

For my part, I remember reading your posts this summer and seeing that you had hit the wall -- I wasn't there yet, but I got there about two weeks before school started. It was too hot for anyone to play outside, and both boys (Luke especially) were bored and were peppering me with questions in rapid-fire succession because they really didn't have enough going on to keep their minds busy. Luke's new school started a week and a half after all the other schools in town, and I was ecstatic to take him the first day. I am enjoying the solitude and QUIET and really enjoying some uninterrupted time with (not so) little Nathan, really for the first time in a while.

I am glad (and envious) that you enjoyed the last month of summer. I hope that your little one adjusts to having his playmates gone -- maybe you two can have some special time together.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Well, I hit the wall halfway through the summer, Sally and I was jealous of all of you guys that seemed to be breezing through. Thomas had vacation the last ten days of summer too, so that made it much easier. Also, I think that once I saw the light at the end of the summer tunnel I felt much cheerier

I'm actually struggling quite a bit now because I'm tired and am feeling exceptionally grouchy and impatient. My dh has had a 'talk' with me about my 'bad mothering' and I know that he's right...I'm just feeling exhausted and a bit burned out....

As much as I miss them during the day...I really do...I'm grateful for the break.

Kris

Comment

Kris,

I hope you will have the opportunity to get some rest this weekend -- maybe if you can get caught up, you will feel better. Getting the kids back to school is a big undertaking, with the change in schedule and all of the supplies to buy, label, etc., so you're bound to be worn out -- not to mention the underlying stress of wondering how this year is going to be for the kids! Thankfully, things seem to be going well for your kids so far, so take the opportunity to breathe a big sigh of relief and relax a little!

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
          X