Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Doctor. Doctor.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doctor. Doctor.

Forget what I said about him being better! He left this morning before I could take a shower. He's soooo lucky Daegan is being good watching a video. SOOOO LUCKY!!!

I know he's stressed and has to study, but come on....a few freakin' minutes for a shower?!?!

My dinner was only so so last night. I was expecting more....and the salmon was tasty, but not amazing. But I did win a raffle door prize! I got a canine hip model! I'm such the ortho nerd that I'm super excited!
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

OKAPs were yesterday. After the test, the group goes out to eat crawfish....at least families are invited. He of course had a few beers and came home (~5p) and fell asleep! He slept until I went bed (~10p)...then he got up and was up until 1am! We did go for a walk this morning and were watching a movie together when we got a call from another resident. Apparently it's the bachelor PDs b-day and the residents (only) are taking him out to eat tonight. Did I mention that he's supposed to give Grand Rounds on Monday??? And he's playing f'n video games now!

I'm sooo fed up!

At least he watched him for part of yesterday's lunch....
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Well, I was going to wait to announce this pregnancy, but I need somewhere to gripe about my symptoms! I'm still REALLY early along, so we're only spreading the news on an as-needed basis. We found out on Saturday (and the doc confirmed on Monday). I'm only about 4 weeks along and due in the beginning of January.

I've been EXHAUSTED! I don't remember feeling this tired this soon with Daegan....but I'm sure much of it was obscured with internship. The worst part of being so tired...is that I've been having trouble sleeping at night. Thankfully I can nap each day after work, but it doesn't seem to be enough. But the night waking is kicking my butt! It doesn't help that Daegan has been all over the bed lately. I really do need to adjust our current sleep situation! He's just still waking to nurse at night....

Which brings me to grip #2....sore nipples and a nursing acrobatic toddler! 'Nuf said!

Gripe #3 is nausea! I was lucky enough to avoid this with Daegan.....but as I've said before...I'll take nausea for 13 weeks over pre-e anyday!! It's been hitting me during surgery which is a very weird sensation for me (I've NEVER been squeamish!).

So I guess overall I'm just really shocked to be having symptoms so early! I don't remember feeling anything before....but I guess that's why they say every pregnancy is different.

I did switch docs. Even though I liked the LSU OB as a person, she was kind of an alarmist and it was too difficult to see her (scheduling/office wait time)....so I called another hospital clinic (one the LSU nurse said was good) and he was able to see me ASAP....and he wasn't concerned at all about my previous HELLP and the fact that I'm still nursing Daegan. He was much more laid back and so far I think I like him.

Russ has been calming down and so has Daegan....we've had no more talk of tantrums at daycare and his tantrums at home have been mild....thank goodness! I do appreciate everyone's advice and I wonder if some of the mildness is coming from my pre-emptive strikes and my new handling skills... Nah....it's probably because the house stress level has dropped dramatically!

All in all, things are good here. Looking forward to a weekend outdoors!!
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

So far night-weaning has been successfull!! (fingers crossed, knock on wood) It was really not hard, so I assume Daegan was ready. I told him "milk went night-night" and he would cry but roll over and fall asleep on his own....without patting! It took about 3 days of waking every few hours and saying the same thing, but he was sleeping through the night less than a week after starting! Thank goodness for small favors!!!!!!!! (ok a really big favor I know).

Daycare situation was updated in my tantrum thread....basically it still sucks and I have had some issues lately with the way they are handling things (biting, staff, etc). Home care is looking like a real option at this point....at least temporarily....our babysitter (who was his daycare teacher last year for a few months) is pregnant and must quit her job at the daycare (unmarried and church-based).....she said she'd love to watch him! Yay! I'm going to call her this week to make sure she's cool with the $$ and hours we talked about....and hopefully that will be in place within the month. She's due in January like me, so I'll be stuck then, but at least it gives me time to figure something else out.

Russ and I are doing great! We both want to get walking again (I've felt so crappy I haven't done anything....and he's sympathy eating for me!) and that really does WONDERS for our relationship. We also got Mario Galaxy (from iMSN recommendations) and it's great b/c I can play with him adn Daegan finds it entertaining!

Pregnancy wise I feel like crap most of the time. I'm tired, physically and emotionally drained....I'm also nauseated about 75% of the day, but not throwing up which is good....though sometimes I think it would make me feel better. I've been wanting to cook all this great food, and I buy it....and then dinner time comes and I can't stomach the thought of preparing something.....so I end up eating takeout or nothing or pizza...and the food ends up going bad. Oh well. I'm learning not to buy ahead of time...and I'm trying to come up with easier to make dishes so I don't have to spend as much time looking at ingredients. I've also caved on my no HFCS kick and bought some Saltines and GingerAle to get me through the rough times. Getting a full night sleep is helping though, so I'm hoping that will continue.

Anyway, overall I feel like life is good eventhough there are some rough spots...which is a great feeling!
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

The daycare is having the afternoon teacher come earlier to have 2 adults in the morning. I think the afternoon is still going to be just one. Well see....I'm thinking that it's not going to work out with having our sitter watch him solo. I think her fiance has concerns. Fiddlegirl is looking into an in-home option for me. Hope it pans out.

Nightweaning is still a success. He has snuggled a few times in the middle of the night, but hasn't needed milk. Yay! It's definitely helped my exhaustion!!

I haven't had much relief in the bellyachin'....and I'm definitely OUT of my skinny clothes and into my fat clothes....not quite maternity....but nothing snug around the waist! I'm only 8 weeks! But my rings still fit!!! And they didn't with Daegan so I'm taking that as a good sign!!

The friend I have in town who had HELLP at 30 wks like I did is pregnant again.....she's probably about 23+ weeks now....last I heard (more than a month ago) she was on bed rest for high blood pressure. I've put a couple of calls to her cell and haven't heard back. I hope everything is ok. She was a-ok until about 18 ish weeks....makes me kinda nervous, but I promised myself to focus on the positives.

I posted about the TV in Grand Rounds. It's RIDICULOUSLY HUGE! We talked about getting a new TV around Christmas, but didn't because of price.....we're using the "mount it on the wall, so Daegan can't pull it on himself" excuse for a flat panel. I thought we were done with the talk, but Friday Russ called me in a tizzy asking if I had the paper with the Sears circular. (Uhhh, we don't get the paper so why would I have it??) Anyway, you get the rest....it was a deal TOO good to pass up. And I guess it was. But seriously....who needs a 50 inch TV? It's as big as the mantle above our fireplace. Now he's talking sound bars....and HD packages.... and I was just talking about canceling cable and getting some rabbit ears!

I finished the latch-board I was making Daegan. I took a pic and will try to post it next week.

My mom and dad are visiting my sister and my mom's cousin this weekend in Jax. I'm SOOOO jealous! I miss my family so much! Holidays were always about family growing up....not just the big ones....but any 3 day weekend was an excuse to get together. Not sure why I'm feeling it more this weekend than the others, but I am. Maybe it's the hormones.

We went to Mudbug Madness yesterday. Russ was less than enthralled and it kinda dampened the mood. I still enjoyed the music.

Excited to have tomorrow off.....Russ does too, so hopefully it will be a nice relaxing day!
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Same old, same old around here....Daegan's still biting at daycare....I still feel like I need to find a better solution....my clinic is still short staffed and there's still drama with everyone....the TV is still ridiculously big to me.

But, my preg symtpoms seem to be subsiding...my belly is expanding some...Russ was off last week and we hung out, went blueberry picking, etc...Daegan is talking more and more...and the weather is HOT!

So today is a good day too. I felt very needed at the clinic today. I was busy and had a couple of emergency type cases. I don't feel exhausted. And I think we're having pizza for dinner (my craving this go around).

With regards to the clinic and my job. I want to ask for a raise....but I've never done that before and I don't really know how to do it. I've put a call to one of my best vet friends (who is in San Antonio right now for a conference - I tried to go Jenn but couldn't bear the 8-ish hour drive right now)....I'm hoping she can help me work through this. I pulled the numbers and while I'm not an overall big producer at the clinic, I do have the highest "average client transaction" by a good margin....my problem is just that I don't see as many clients as everyone else. Partly because of my hours and partly because I'm the new guy. I've been there a year now and do have a few of my own clients now....people who always request me....and I'm building that....there isn't a good way to track that in the computer though....it's people who ask for me when they get there....the chart isn't flagged or anything. And I've definitely brought a lot to the clinic. I've updated some standard procedures (like IVs during anesthesia) which bring the clinic money....I also recently made a pain med switch and an anesthetic protocol switch that should save the clinic money as well (while improving patient care). I have gotten them to spend some too, but part of it is the fact that things needed to be updated, and my squeaky wheel was enough to move things forward! I worry that if it's not well received, I might make waves for myself... I could probably find another vet job pretty easily....but I probably would have to start over in updating another practice....I'm finally getting these techs trained well! I also worry that I want more money, but at the same time I'll be taking a few months off for maternity. I don't have a contract (kinda scary both ways I know)....and I don't get benefits (they do pay some association dues and my malpractice insurance)....and I won't get paid maternity leave.....I just get paid hourly. I feel like I should get something for inflation each year right? I don't know. Maybe I should post this in a separate post and get some opinions....

Michele
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I haven't asked for the raise yet... I know I know. I'm being partially wimpy and the other part is that I don't think it's quite the right time. We had a rough two weeks at work...and in fact I pissed off half the techs one day....but they deserved it....we have some good ones and some that are worthless, and I demanded more than they wanted or are used to giving...ANYWHERE else they would have been fired months ago!!!!! But this place lets their staff walk all over them! ie....not showing up to work b/c you had to help catch your boyfriends grandmothers horse (and not calling)....taking AT LEAST 5-10 sick days a month for you or your kids.....telling a doctor "no" when asked to help with something (not something where an ethical decision is involved....but something regular like walking a dog, helping train a new employee)....UGH!

But whatever....the boss-man actually brought me a bag of peaches as a thank you after the day I created havoc so I think my no-nonsense-with-employee attitude was appreciated!

I worked almost double last week....(one vet was in Mexico on a mission trip)....I am so not into full time! It was way too exhausting for me....I'm sure it was combined with pregnancy, my stress about daycare and Daegan....and my first ever sinus infection (on antibiotics now and finally getting some relief!). I have Thursday and Friday off this week! THANK GOODNESS!!!!

I'm starting to get a little nervous about the baby. I don't know why....I think because I'm still weighing less than I was pre-preg with Daegan...and I don't really feel like I've popped....I'm only 13 weeks though. But my weight gain this go around is SO much different than with Daegan. It's probably all just normal this time and I don't really know how that goes! I also haven't had any ultrasounds/dopplers yet.....I have an appt next Tuesday and I'm pretty sure he'll doppler then. I think I'll feel better hearing the heartbeat. It's still so early, but I was definitely showing at 13wk with Daegan!

We had more issues with the daycare on Friday. I've called a couple more places and I hope there will be an opening in Aug. I need to go by the places tomorrow or Wednesday and see them and fill out some papers.....I can't find anyone for homecare that I trust. The moms that I trust seem tapped out....and searching Craig's List and the local moms board (redrivermoms.com) hasn't yielded anything worthwhile....the one I thought might be good....she was a client of the clinic and her chart shows spotty care of her pets....being a vet/animal person...maybe I'm being overly sensitive....b/c just knowing Heidi through this board, I think I'd let her watch my children...but she doesn't like dogs. But she also knows enough not to get one and then not take care of it!

Russ and I are running in a low spot right now. We had some serious chats this weekend...and I hope things turn soon....last week was really rough on me.....and I was looking forward to a weekend with my family to recharge....he planned to moonlight. Yeah the moonlighting is good money....and easy work for him....but not every weekend. I need my husband! And Daegan needs his daddy! I feel like the moonlighting is becoming an excuse to ignore/avoid us....and he admitted it is sometimes....that bugs me. And I feel it raises red flags.....he came around to my side and realized he'd been avoiding us.....I have no idea if it's going to change things....but I hope it does.

I hope that the schedule change will help too. The grumpy resident has made waves again (I really don't like him!!!!) and I can tell it's bugging everyone at the clinic. They moved him to the VA for the first block (4 months) and I hope that it improves morale everywhere (except the VA of course).
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Ugh! So I call to find out how his first cataract went....great. Yay! I then ask when he suspects he'll be home since I am (stupidly) cooking him a celebratory dinner. Yeah......they're going out to celebrate the "pooping of their cataract cherries." He's not sure when he'll be home. Whatever. It's fucking bullshit. Guess Daegan and I are eating alone....again.....remind me why I followed him to this shithole?
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My posting has been sporadic these last few days.....it's because I've been home more. Why? Because I've had to pick Daegan up early from the daycare for biting. I know that biting is bad, and I know the health risks associated when he draws blood....but come on people!!! Why the F can't you watch him???? Lately it's ALWAYS been during a fight over a toy. And it's been happening every other day. Umm.....I just don't get it. He has FINALLY started to try to bite at home.....when he does it at home, he leans in towards my arm/leg/whatever and he opens wide and watches me.....it just looks sooo much like an attention getting behavior here at home. I totallly have plenty of time to say "no bite" and back away. Clearly the other 2yos can't be expected to do that, but it's so obvious what triggers it. I'm sure I sound like one of those "Not my kid" parents....but everyone I've talked to about this issue IRL has said the EXACT same thing...."Aren't they watching him??" Even the director of the daycare has said that to the teachers.....and when she reviews the tapes of the room, she says he fights over a toy and then bites....and that the teacher "just can't get there in time." But I've waked in the room to pick him up before and there has been a little girl red-faced screaming/crying and a little boy climbing on a table and she's just trying to get another one to put on her shoes....cause that's clearly the most important thing going on at the time....

Anyway, this last time I had to pick him up early the director gave me the name and number of a women who used to work at the daycare, but now stays home with her kids and she has 2 kids she keeps for homecare. Daegan and I met with her and she seems nice. Of course Daegan caught his finger in her elliptical machine and took a nice chunk of skin off the inside of his finger. Her two kids are school aged and the others are a 3yo who is always there and a 4yo who is intermittently there. I'm glad my mom and dad get here today and can watch him for a week....we are all (mom, dad, me, Russ and Daegan) going to try to meet her on Saturday so everyone can help me decide.

Homecare is ultimately what I want for Daegan......but I didn't want it to happen this way.....I wanted it to be on my terms....not because we were kicked out of daycare. I guess I've always known he has higher needs than a daycare setting can provide....but I don't want to think it's my fault ya know? I used to get a lot of flack in the beginning because he was so clingy (~1yo) and especially from this one mom (mean bitch)....anyway, now her kid cries everyday when she drops him off (2yo). IMO a 1yo still crying is normal....but a 2yo who regressed? I suppose it's still normal, but I just want to say HA! Ugh. I'm so frustrated with this whole situation......and I have been for a LONG time.....

I just wish I didn't feel like I was a sucky mom and that's why this is falling down like this....

In a happier note, I hear the little snapper's heartbeat yesterday for the first time. SUCH A WONDERFUL SOUND!!!!! My heart melted and grew.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

• Re: Doctor. Doctor.

My parents visit is going great! Daegan has really taken to them even though he only sees them sporadically.....he wakes up each morning and asks for "Mee-mere" and "P-pa"....he just sounds so ridiculously Southern!! I'm sad they are leaving Thursday.....happy to have my house back, but really sad they are leaving. Russ and I are going to try to go out tonight alone for my birthday. His schedule has been better....more consistent and he seems happier. Or maybe I'm just not noticing as much b/c my parents are here.

I'm definitely feeling this little Snapper move around! It's really neat to feel so early. My sinus infection cleared only to be followed by a cold... but other than that I feel pretty good.

I checked out a few more daycares, my parents met the homecare lady....and I still don't know what I'm going to do. I need to email homecare lady and get a bunch of things clarified that I didn't want to do/couldn't do in person....too much going on. One of the daycares is definitely out b/c of hours.....the other one seemed pretty great until I got to the menu. They won't allow me to pack Daegan his own lunch....and they serve hot dogs/sloppy joes/etc...typical kid food, but not stuff Daegan eats. And I guess he would learn to eat it....but I didn't really plan on him eating that kind of stuff. At least not until he was a bit older. I also didn't mention the cloth diapers...but I suspect that will be an issue if the kid can't even eat his own food. Sometimes I just wish I didn't enjoy working so much (ok not necessarily my current job, but I do like being a vet) and I wish we didn't depend on the $$ so much. It'd be so much easier if I could just stay-at-home or if I didn't have such strong opinions about things. Of course, trying to find the best fit for Daegan is top priority, but I can't forget that come ~April we'll need care for the Snapper too....and I'm not sure the homecare lady is the best fit for a wee one.

Anyway, off to try to get some more sleep....I'll check back in on the weekend.
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Daycare update....since I know you are all waiting with baited breath!

He has been moved to another classroom at the same place....he bit on Monday and on Tuesday so they moved him on Wednesday. He's with 3yos and so far is doing great! There are 2 teachers in this room, and they seem to like him. They seemed VERY nervous about having a youngin' (he'll be 2 next month) around the "big kids." And they were kinda freaked about the cloth diapers.....but they seem very impressed with him. They tell me he's polite and helpful and can totally hold his own on the playground. He colors, helps pick up, and does everything they expect of the older kids. I'm cautious to get too excited about this....but at least he's gone almost 3 days without biting! These new teachers even seem kinda surprised that he's been biting. One said "you just gotta watch 'em" and "he likes to be busy." So again, now I'm not sure if I should plan to move him, or to just continue to take it day by day. I'm going to try to talk to the director today and she what her thoughts are. I don't have a problem with keeping him in a class of older children.....maybe he's just that smart! He is, after all, MY child!!

Baby news, I had a 1.5 day period of swelling (hands and feet)....VERY mild, but of course I FREAKED! My mom freaked a bit with me, Russ was wholly unhelpful, but thankfully Fiddlegirl was there to talk me down! She said to rest and drink lots of water and to call the doc if it didn't go away in a couple of days. It went away!! And I feel fine! Thank goodness!

And work news, they say they are going to make changes in staffing and job descriptions.....and they want me to write it all up! Yesterday I spent a few hours with the manager hammering out new evaluation forms....keeping in mind where we want everyone to grow to...ie in veterinary knowledge, skills, and customer service. Lately I've been feeling like the whole reason we were sent to this town was so that I could fix this clinic! I'm glad they are finally seeing the light....and I hope that they implement all these changes they want me to draw up! And they've switched to my pre-anesthetic protocol. Yes their reason was cost driven, but I don't care because I feel it's better medicine!

My u/s appt is scheduled for Aug 19. I can't wait to see this little one and maybe find out the gender! Less than a month away!
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We've decided (ok really I decided and Russ has to agree and support me) to send Daegan to the homecare lady. Monday I was late getting out of work, thankfully Russ picked him up before "time was up" but I didn't know til after I had freaked out the entire time I had to stay late.....then I also got a message that he had a fever, so I knew Tuesday was going to be out. I ended up going to the clinic to finish a few things in the AM and my boss says "oh we'll have receptionist watch Daegan so can you stay and do this long surgery for me?" He doesn't do surgery anymore...but his son is there.....but I guess he sometimes prefers me. Cool but kinda weird that he was soooo willing to have one of his other staff be inconvenienced by caring for my kid (not sick by the way). Anyway, I stayed and did the surgery and he spent all his free time playing with Daegan instead of solitaire. No one else would've gotten away with bringing their kid to work and I've done it 3 times now. Of course everyone says he's great so I don't feel too terribly bad about it....it just seems way unprofessional to me. But I guess if the boss doesn't care.....

Eventhough I think this new room is GREAT for Daegan, I can't predict what will happen when they change rooms in Aug....are they going to move him with the kids and we have a new teacher? Are they going to keep him with the current teachers and we get a new crop of kids (or the old crop?) I just can't worry anymore about this. The homecare lady, while there are drawbacks (vacations, insurance, etc) I need more consistency in his care to make my heart rest better. She doesn't have any vacations planned and she promised to give me as much notice as possible. We'll figure it out.

Baby belly is getting bigger....and I'm gaining a bit faster now. I can't wait for the ultrasound in a couple of weeks!!!

I *think* the clinic is listing an AD online today. We desperately need help (5-6 people at my last count - they tried to tell me 3 yesterday HA! - that's just to replace what is gone now....not the 2-3 they are trying to cut loose). After I reminded them of that fact, the cheap boss is now considering an online AND a newspaper ad. It'll be way easier to train a group of people at once, then one every other week. Silly non business people!

Anyway, off to ready myself for work. Oh and yes the surgery went well...prognosis may be bad, but we'll wait for the path report.
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Some pictures:

Blueberry picking:

Hammin' it up:

Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Stuntin' like his daddy:

Acting like "P-pa:"

He loves his pitbull! He opened Pula's crate and climbed in and closed the door back behind himself! (He was hollering so my dad would come in the room and see him!)

What happens when you have playdates with Fiddlegirl and her daughter!

Wii Fittin' It Up!!

And finally....where you sit when mom and dad have a ridiculously large TV and the characters are as big as you...
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X