Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Waldorf preschool. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waldorf preschool. . .

Pros? Cons?

It's named after a salad? I don't know if that is a pro or a con.

Sorry - not helpful. I've never heard of it before. The salad was the 1st thing that came to mind.

Comment

My neighbor's son is in a Waldorf playgroup. They like it. It sounds rather relaxed, a lot of focus on imaginitive play. That's about all I've got! I think some aspects of the educational theory for elementary wouldn't be a good fit for us.

Comment

I should add -- the Waldorf playgroup is definitely a playgroup and not a preschool. He also goes to a coo-op preschool twice a week. I'm not sure what a preschool setting would be like or how it would differ. Her mom's stepkids go to Waldorf school (kids are K through 5 or 6 grade) and it is mostly through them that I've learned about it. I don't know how much the local school sticks to the overall philosophy though I think they are true to it. I think it would be *much* harder to transition from Waldorf to regular public than Montessori. Reading instruction starts around 7 or 8. The Montessori programs around here include reading at a younger age, perhaps less pressure than traditional public school, but it is definitely included.

I overheard a parent talking about the Waldorf school (his children attend) and Steiner as being "both fantastic and fantastical" which is probably a good description.

Comment

I like alternative education and we looked hard at the Waldorf school here. Someone tipped me off by advising me to google the terms "Waldorf" and "criticism". I would do the same.

think they have a lot in common with Montessori.
          Actually, Waldorf and Montessori, while both alternative pedagogies, are opposite of each other. One of the basic tenets of Montessori is that the child starts out with the concrete and slowly advances to the abstract. Waldorf starts in the fantastical and/or imaginative and slowly works towards the concrete. I have heard, without corroborative evidence (lest I get flamed), that Waldorf advocates delayed teaching of some of the basics like reading in order to permit kids to explore with their imaginations while their creativity is so fertile.

Still, I think that the most important thing about preschool is the "vibe" that you get. Is it loving, do the kids seem happy?

Best of luck.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
          X