Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How does this sound for a birthday party?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this sound for a birthday party?

The local dive center has an indoor pool that is 88 degrees. They will rent it out with a lifeguard for 100 for three hours. Does that sound like fun for a 3yr old bday party in Feb? Or would it be a pain bc the parents will have to swim too? My mom told me she thought it was highway robbery and a terrible idea My sister thought it was kind of boring
    Mom to three wild women.

I think it sounds fun, but I would consider the parents, because if they won't swim the kids can't attend. Good luck.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

great idea for older kids...my friend does something like this for her older daughter that has a winter b-day and by older I mean for 7th & 8 th b-day.

Comment

Do they have toys? Kickboards? Floating noodles? Are there areas where it is 3' or less?

88 degrees is a great temp. We did lessons in a therapy pool that was about 92 and that was almost too hot.

I think three hours is long...can you eat there? You could do an hour or longer in the pool and an hour to eat and say happy birthday?
        Parents who won't get in with their kids are lame. Kids LOVE water if they have had time to get used to it!

I'd say do it with some of the above suggestions.
        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

The vain beyotch in me wouldn't want parents to see my winter white bum in a swim suit. (I really am going to rot in hell for the sin of vainity.)

I think $100 for three hours is a steal. We've contacted four different places in the Twin Cities for potential birthday scheduling, and the cheapest we have found is $150. I gave my son the whole speech, "We need to conserve money and we're going to Disney, so we probably won't have a birthday party". He started crying. Legitimate disappointment crying, not "let's work over mom" crying.

I guess that we'll be having a birthday party. If this is the thing that puts us into bankruptcy, so be it.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

At 3, you could still easily get away with the family birthday

I think it is a super idea for older kids who can swim on their own. Like another poster, I would have to be in the pool constantly with my 3yo and not necessarily have anyone else for the baby.

How about a dress up party if she is into that? Or just a plain old cake and 45m play party?

Good luck!

Comment

I would not want to do it with my 3 year old. A 3 year old that didn't have a suit could not find one this time of year, let alone a mom, could not attend. It requires too much supervision, I agree. I would not want to get my fat white butt into a pool with a bunch of strangers who looked better in bathing suits than me. I think it is a fantastic idea for older kids though.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

The idea is good and the price is good, but I don't think for a 3 year old. As much as I love swimming, I admit I'd be pretty irritated if I got the invite. I think the kids need to be old enough to swim on their own.

Comment

Definitely not highway robbery, IMO. Like Annie said, it might be a lot for kids with younger sibs or those who can't swim on their own, which would probably be most 3 yos.

Can you rent out the gym or play equipment at the rec center?

Comment

Working...
                  X